1.4.5 Not compatible with WP 4.3 or BP 2.3.3

The moment I activated this plugin because I have DEBUG turned on, I immediately get compatibility warnings:

Strict Standards: Declaration of BP_Group_Calendar_Extension::display() should be compatible with BP_Group_Extension::display($group_id = NULL)

OR

Notice: The called constructor method for WP_Widget is deprecated since version 4.3.0! Use

Both of these issues are simple fixes but I would rather not modify the plugin, was wondering when you might have plans for a patch?

• Bojan Radonic
    • Head of Support

Hey again @Div Truth,

Hope you're well today :slight_smile:

The error is due to the change in the WP core and it is affecting a lot of plugins including this one.

I've reported this to our developer.

Thank you for taking time to report this :slight_smile:

Best regards,
    Bojan

• Div Truth
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

To resolve the WP 4.3 Deprecated warning, edit bp-group-calendar.php, lines: 1436, 1516, 1610

Need to convert $this->WP_Widget() to parent::__construct()

And for the BuddyPress error simply edit line 121 of that file to include $group_id=NULL like so:

function display($group_id=NULL)

• Div Truth

If you want more to add to the release you can add more documentation to the code. It looks like you guys began with documentation and then in the middle of development got tired of documenting anything.

Also curious why you guys don't separate your class objects to into separate files. Everything is just thrown into one file without documentation, and although things may work just fine, as a developer I tend to see practices like this as lazy which makes me weary towards using your product, (not trying to be mean but just being honest).

• Aaron
    • CTO

Thanks for your feedback! This is the second plugin I developed for WPMU DEV, about 6 years ago! We've come a long way since then... Due to prioritizing by member usage we haven't done much but keep it functional since then. I trust your eyes will like the code a bit better in our newer products!

• Aaron
    • CTO

Thanks for your feedback! This is the second plugin I developed for WPMU DEV, about 6 years ago! We've come a long way since then... Due to prioritizing by member usage we haven't done much but keep it functional since then. I trust your eyes will like the code a bit better in our newer products!

• Div Truth

I can appreciate that. I'm sure plenty could be said about my old code as well. As I said in my feedback response you guys sent out last week or so, I want to like your product more but so far I've always found reason to avoid it, so your response is encouraging.

Now if we can just get rid of the annoying dashboard banner (by default). :wink:

• Roger Beaujard

When developing a site it is annoying to see a bunch of warnings due to as @Div Truth pointed out "lazy" coding practices. I can appreciate it is an older plugin, but it is a plugin that we paid for none the less. And yes, for sure the latest update of Marketpress is a much improved structure (although riddled with bugs and not ready for release as of 3.0.0.6 still) which is encouraging. I want to "love" WPMU products except I feel more stuck waiting for them to be finished constantly. As it stands I only "like" the products and feel I am at the mercy of updates that may or may not fix a particular bug. I gotta say I wish my other posts with issues were attended to in as timely a manor as this one.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.