1gb ram server

Am looking to go host about 50 websites on a 768 plan server on linode. These are going to be shops on WordPress multisite.

Load – Each site will not have too many visitors. Probably a few thousand per day max.

Expect 50 people to I/O at unforeseeable max at any given moment.

Question is would i need a bigger server? Am looking to bootstrap here.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings sachingopalakrishnan,

Thank you for this great question and a significant item to bring up.

Question is would i need a bigger server?

I must admit that my answer may be a bit skewed being a competitor of there’s and I did not know that people still configured 1GB RAM Servers. I do not have anything under 16GB RAM and php memory is set at 512MB, so two php processes would eat their server up.

However, to address your question directly I honestly do not know for many reasons to include but not limited to things like how many plugins which all use ram individually? How many processors? etc. etc.

So as you can see this is really hard to make an accurate analysis of without being able to replicate the installation and then see what memory requirements the installation and plugins use.

Then do a stress test to guesstimate what the resources each visitor will actually pull then multiply it times your peek traffic.

One thing for sure though, if it is a cPanel installation it is easy enough to transfer :smiley:

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev Community Member!

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.