2-column member theme

Hi, with bp-social, the member profile is set at 3 column. Changing the column in theme option doesnt impact this (only main page and blog). How do I change this to only two column i.e. disable right sidebar?

• af3
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Hmm seemed like I found a solution .. but didnt work :slight_frown:

For info, I've installed bb-chat plugin and it's placed http://domain.com/members/admin/chat

With this default, the chatbox was squeezed between the two member sidebars with very small chat area in between. To make the chat area larger, we can remove one of the sidebars and one way to do this is to set the template at this component item to use the member directory template. After opening almost each files, found out that this function is already in bb-core i.e. function bp_core_action_directory_members(). I thought I could just add another custom function based on this function but to add something like:
    if ( $bp->current_component == BP_MEMBERS_SLUG && $bp->current_item == 'chat' ) { ...

but doesnt work.. all profile template became 2 column.. any idea?

• hkcharlie
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

This is fine if you want to move to 2 columns, but if I wanted to keep the three columns, where can I edit the width of the left and right column OR (better still) would be to shift them further to the outside of theme as there is a lot of free space on the far right and left of the theme, this could allow us to keep the left and right columns at their width and increase the width of the centre column.

• hkcharlie

Thanks Tammie.
    I have firebug and I've spent the best part of a day already trying to find the right CSS to edit.
    There is something there called the content inner, which it doesn't appear that you can adjust the width of.
    It appears you can adjust the width of the left and right columns, within the content inner, but I can't see how you can increase the amount of space in the centre column.
    Like I said, ideally I would like to move to left and right columns into wider positions and have more room in the middle.

I am also not clear as to how to use this child theme, as I tested it by making some simple changes to a php file and placing the edited version in the child theme folder. It made no difference and a search has suggested that htis might be an issue with the social theme.

Any other help please?

• hkcharlie

(sorry for the double post)
    I have now made edited versions of a couple of php files and placed them in :
    /wp-content/themes/bp-social-child/_inc/css
    is this right?
    (because it doesn't appear to working)

better still, eg:

if I wanted to change an emtry in member.css
    #blog-entry .main-column {
    margin: 0px;
    padding: 0px;
    float: right;
    width: 490px;
    font-size: 11px;
    line-height: 16px;

the width to 666, what would I do?

• Tammie
    • WordPress Wizard

@hkcharlie: Ok we could have a few issues here firstly lets get you working with child and parent themes. I am going to link to another tutorial as think perhaps it will help you as I think unless I am mistaken (which I may be) you are confused between php and css files and placing. Please forgive me if I have crossed wires over that though.

http://buddydress.com/2010/05/parent-and-child-themes-explored/

Next, we could also have another issue where you have something referring to TEMPLATEPATH rather than STYLESHEETPATH when it calls in a file but lets see if this tutorial helps you get to grips with parent and child themes first up. I find doing things in stages can simplify. I'm not going to tell you exactly how to do things as that's your custom decision with regards to colours / sizes and so on, but we can give you the tools and get you on the right track hopefully.

• hkcharlie

sorry - my (big) slip of the keyboard - I meant :

"I have now made edited versions of a couple of css files and placed them in :
    /wp-content/themes/bp-social-child/_inc/css"

Also, could I have few less lessons and a few more solid directions?
    I provided the example of css that I was looking at, if you are wanting to teach rather than tell, could you work with that for me, rather than point to another example that isn't explicitly relevant?

• Tammie
    • WordPress Wizard

@hkcharlie: We're not just about spoon feeding for customisation - surely you'd rather learn so you can grow in what you know. That being said I need to see a link to understand what you mean / where you are at now. It most definitely is relevant if you are not understanding the principle of child and parent themes which by this statement you said:

I have now made edited versions of a couple of php files and placed them in :
    /wp-content/themes/bp-social-child/_inc/css
    is this right?

You were not :slight_smile:

All that aside.. provide a link and lets see where you are at / what you have as I have yet to gain the ability to see things without seeing them :slight_smile:

• Tammie
    • WordPress Wizard

ok how about you start another thread state everything in a list and we can deal one by one so we avoid confusion - sound good? To be honest I'm loosing track myself of your issues here and wouldn't mind one list we can pick through if that is ok with links showing each. I assumed I had to join chat to see the issue however as you were offline couldn't get access... I think so we can clearly and timely get this done lets get that list and lets work one by one so we can be methodical and get it all wrapped up without confusion - sound good?

• hkcharlie

If you are ok with it - this thread is still about adjusting the social theme to accomodate the chat box of the ajax chat plugin.

You have the username and login.
    If you go into the one group there is, there is a chat option.
    This opens up ajax chat in a box, in the center column.
    the centre column is too narrow, to accomodate this chat.
    If you open firebug you will be able to adjust the width of the columns so you can see how the chat box should look.
    But this is no good having narrow left and right columns.
    I need to move these columns into wider spaces of the theme.
    I seem to be able to do this with the right column, but the left column doesn't appear to want ot move further left.

(the next bit is to put the edits made through firebug to reality with the child and parent themes, but that's a whole different thread.)

nb: I'm on Hong Kong time (GMT+8), I'm not sure what time of day our work days overlap, but if we can work this out, it might help!

• Tammie
    • WordPress Wizard

@hkcharlie: I think you have a few issues here:

1. You have to keep the file structure when using your own files ie; if the file is /thisdirectory/myfiles/filename/ in the parent it has to be the same in the child.

2. Not sure what the issue is using firebug I was able to get it nicely fitting by reducing the size of the sidebar on the right, making the left wider and then making the right inner left bit wider... here were the classes I effected but the sizes would be up to you.

#blog-entry {
    border-right:1px solid #DDDDDD;
    float:left;
    margin:0;
    padding:0 10px 0 0;
    width:780px;
    }

#blog-entry .main-column {
    float:right;
    font-size:11px;
    line-height:16px;
    padding:0;
    width:600px;
    }

#right-sidebar {
    float:right;
    padding:0;
    width:150px;
    }

I have not tested it but if you put that in your child theme that should work give or take what sizes you want and some browser testing. I will leave the rest up to you as that should give you plenty to work on hopefully.

• Tammie
    • WordPress Wizard

EDIT: one thing you could add to this would be if you did not want to make the sidebar so small or so on call the body class for that instance and then the class - each body has a class depending on 'where it is and what it is doing'.

For groups you have:

<body class="directory groups logged-in">

So.. you could have:

.groups #right-sidebar{}

• hkcharlie

Tammie - your example with my code was spot on, exactly what I was looking for.
    I've now got to grips with changing all sorts of characteristics with this one now, even trying to change the css within the chat plugin.
    I think we can close this one.
    A BIG thank you!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.