2 themes simultaneously on sub-site for multi install

How can I have 2 different themes by default on a sub-site (using Blog Template or else) in my network: one for publicly visible content and one for member-only content. The idea is to have the publicly visible theme to be easily updatable with a different theme without affecting the password protected part(say forum theme). The content will also be different (public/ private).

• Adam Czajczyk

Hey Nick,

I hope you're well today and thanks for your question!

This is very interesting issue but it may be equally tricky. Having multiple themes active at once is not something that WordPress would handle out of the box. I can think of a possible solution though.

There's a plugin that should allow you to have different themes installed and assigned to various part (pages/posts) of your site. Take a look here please:

https://wordpress.org/plugins/jonradio-multiple-themes/

I admit I had some issues with it, however users claim that it working. So, having it setup and working you can then assign main theme to the site and another theme(s) to particular websites. This will not however take membership into the account and it won't depend on it.

I suppose that this plugin could be modified a bit to, for example, include some kind of variable that would identify current membership (from this point it would be easy to assign selected template) and our Membership 2 Premium plugin does include an API which could be used to provide the Multiple Themes plugin with information about member's current membership.

This would however require a lot of advanced custom coding so it would be a task you could ask for at our "Jobs & Pros" job board (no WPMU DEV staff involved).

However, I think you could first try the aforementioned plugin as if it will work for you it may prove to be enough to let you achieve the goal :slight_smile:

Cheers,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.