3.0 Multisite Domain Mapping - I'm in way over my head.

I'm in way over my head and have no idea what to look for or where to look for it. Here's the situation. The main site is alarmdev.com. The sub-site is devsite102.com. http://www.alarmdev.com and alarmdev.com seem to work fine. devsite102.com takes me to the registration page for alarmdev.com. devsite102.alarmdev.com takes me to a "site not configured" page at Webfaction. I've contacted support at Webfaction, they've looked at my configuration there and say it looks fine to them.

I've followed the instructions included with the plugin download, but I can't find any step-by-step installation instructions at WPMU DEV.

Can you give me some pointers or things to check to get to the bottom of my problem?

• Aphrodite
    • The Reaper

well done it fine so :

1 - do you have a dedicated IP for your server ?

If no, no way...

If yes :
    2 - Did you set the ip adresse server in the option page of your WP ?
    3 - Did tou PARK the new domain ON TOP of the main one ?
    4 - then insert the new domain in the domain mapping option of THE NEW site :slight_smile:

• Aaron
    • CTO

devsite102.com takes me to the registration page for alarmdev.com

That means you've setup your DNS correctly.

devsite102.alarmdev.com takes me to a "site not configured" page at Webfaction

That is unrelated to domain mapping, and means you have not setup wildcard DNS correctly for multisite yet, which you will need to do to have subblogs and to domain map any of them. Make sure you have a * A record for you main domain, and that your WP vitualhost is the default for your IP, or at least has the ServerAlias *.alarmdev.com line. You host should be able to do this for you. Just copy what I wrote to them.

• Aaron
    • CTO

First, you won't get anywhere untill your host sets up wildcard subdomains:

Make sure you have a * A record for you main domain, and that your WP vitualhost is the default for your IP, or at least has the ServerAlias *.alarmdev.com line. You host should be able to do this for you. Just copy what I wrote to them.

Until you can access http://devsite102.alarmdev.com we won't worry about domain mapping yet. That will just confuse everyone.

When ready:
    You domain mapped your main blog, not the devsite102 sub blog. Remove the mapping on the main blog then go to the dashboard of the devsite102 blog and map it.

• chucktho
    • Flash Drive

Ok. I really made a mess of that, but think I'm where I need to be now to get the domain mapping thing going. devsite102.alarmdev.com, alarmdev.com and http://www.alarmdev.com all return the correct pages now.

What should I put for the mapping on the devsite102 blog? alarmdev.com? Sorry to be so obtuse, I just know nothing about this stuff and it's confusing to me. I won't do anything else until you respond as I don't want to screw it up.

Thanks again for your help and your responsiveness.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.