301 Redirect - SEO and Tech Expert Advice Needed

I'm hoping for a referral to an expert, or even better get some clear advice here.

I'd appreciate some feedback on SEO questions - and particularly need specific info on 301 redirects and .htaccess

I need to migrate a large number of domains currently on their own separate WP installations to a multisite network.

Instead of working on resolving all the paths of images and links etc and cleaning up the content/database etc before migrating and then dealing with import/export of the xml files - I want to simply 301 redirect existing URL's to brand new pages/posts.

I want to maximize keeping SEO link juice

In lieu of just a 'move all' redirect pointing all the old URL to the new index page URL I would like to break things out a bit and get SEO link juice for targeted landing pages.

So a couple of 'decision-tree' questions come to mind:

1) How would it be possible to redirect all posts from a 'category' to a singe URL? and would it be possible to point SOME category's posts to specific URL and ALL OTHERS categories/posts to the index page URL or some other URL?

2) will 301 redirects have issues with multisite subdomains getting mapped to domains...? (concerned about too many redirects either not working or getting flagged by search engines)

3) Would doing a 301 redirect from say, 50 post/page URL's to 1 URL deliver link juice from all those pages, making the new page super strong? (realizing that there is some percentage loss for each page) -- this is actually tough to determine reading a gazillion guru blogs

4) Would standard DNS Zone for multisite be enough (*wildcard) or is some other DNS tweaking needed?

I'm thinking I might end up using a spreadsheet to write the htaccess - and if the category solution is overly complicated I am concerned about generating a massive htaccess file without some kind of wildcards (there are close to 100,000 posts on the old sites - so listing URL by URL is not going to work)

my current gameplan is to first create a new multisite installation on a new VPS with good server specs (lots of RAM), dedicated IP, using a brand new domain for the primary site.

primarysite.com (multisite subdomain installation)
subdomain1.primarysite.com (site1)
subdomain2.primarysite.com (site2)

I'll park all the domains in cpanel; use the WPMUDEV.org "blog template" and "batch create" plugins to create and format sites and
I then will load these sites with content.

Then will use WPMUDEV.org 'domain mapping' to point
subdomain1.primarysite.com to domain1.com
subdomain2.primarysite.com to domain2.com

edit the htaccess with appropriate 301 redirects of old URL's to new URL's

then update nameservers at the registrar

I think this makes sense if I can get the htaccess updated with the right 301 redirect code - but I have no idea what to put in the htaccess

sorry for long post... but big project.

Any and all advice or referral is appreciated, thanks

• aecnu

Greetings tripvendor,

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev member!

1) How would it be possible to redirect all posts from a 'category' to a singe URL? and would it be possible to point SOME category's posts to specific URL and ALL OTHERS categories/posts to the index page URL or some other URL?

In understanding what you want to accomplish from your previous statements in this ticket relative to SEO and link juice, this would be best served by creating the same category structure in the sub domain blog/web site as in the current TLD (Top Level Domain) web site.

To that end, I advise to completely recreate your web site/blog on the sub domain and then when ready map the TLD to the sub domain. Then in effect, when you map the TLD to the sub site no link juice is lost nor will there be any SEO penalties.

2) will 301 redirects have issues with multisite subdomains getting mapped to domains...? (concerned about too many redirects either not working or getting flagged by search engines)

Once again in consideration of the big picture as you have outlined in your ticket, following the instructions and method described immediately above makes this a mute point.

3) Would doing a 301 redirect from say, 50 post/page URL's to 1 URL deliver link juice from all those pages, making the new page super strong? (realizing that there is some percentage loss for each page) -- this is actually tough to determine reading a gazillion guru blogs

No it will not make the new page super strong and could actually have negative impact being possibly flagged by the search engines as duplicate content.

4) Would standard DNS Zone for multisite be enough (*wildcard) or is some other DNS tweaking needed?

Set the DNS zones exactly as written in the instructions and you will be all set without problems.

Then will use WPMUDEV.org 'domain mapping' to point
    subdomain1.primarysite.com to domain1.com
    subdomain2.primarysite.com to domain2.com

This would be more accurately described as:

domain1.com --> subdomain1.primarysite.com
    domain2.com --> subdomain2.primarysite.com

edit the htaccess with appropriate 301 redirects of old URL's to new URL's

If following the migration plan as I have suggested above this also becomes a mute point and not necessary.

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev member!

If we can be of further assistance please let us know.

Cheers, Joe :slight_smile:

• tripvendor

Hi Joe -

Thanks for taking your time to respond, but I wasn't looking for advice not to do what I asked, I'm asking how to do it.

I am looking to revamp and improve the quality of my sites - which involves revitalized content and making it more interactive.

I have 125 sites with 750+ posts each -- they all need to be cleaned up regarding paths, plugins, PHP in the post (security issue if I want to have comments I believe), outdated/bad links, mySQL, then it is exporting and importing them one site at a time ..

or I follow advice from Matt Cutts at Google and 301 redirect to new URL

My question remains about just what htaccess code options are available for 'categories' -- ie some wildcard to take a whole category and point to single URL for example

Regards,

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.