403 error on blog page when any permalinks are set on anything other than default.

The following is the .htaccess file
Multi-site, domain mapping, and WPMU are the only plugins being used. There is a backend WHMCS installation that worked even when wordpress was reinstalled.

Anything but the default permalink would be the goal.

# Use PHP54CGI as default
AddHandler fcgid54-script .php
# BEGIN WordPress
<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
RewriteEngine On
RewriteBase /
RewriteRule ^index\.php$ - [L]

# add a trailing slash to /wp-admin
RewriteRule ^wp-admin$ wp-admin/ [R=301,L]

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -f [OR]
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -d
RewriteRule ^ - [L]
RewriteRule ^(wp-(content|admin|includes).*) $1 [L]
RewriteRule ^(.*\.php)$ $1 [L]
RewriteRule . index.php [L]
</IfModule>

# END WordPress

ALSO>>>

I get this on the Domain Mapping Settings tab.

If you are having problems with domain mapping you should try removing the following lines from your wp-config.php file:.
define( 'DOMAIN_CURRENT_SITE', 'www.enabledu.com' );
define( 'PATH_CURRENT_SITE', '/' );
define( 'SITE_ID_CURRENT_SITE', 1 );
define( 'BLOG_ID_CURRENT_SITE', 1 );

Note: If your domain mapping plugin is WORKING correctly, then please LEAVE these lines in place.

• Vinod Dalvi

Hi @ProVentureMedia,

Sorry to hear of the problems you are having.

Is changing default permalink setting to anything else getting saved?

Are you getting 403 error on blog page only and not on any other page?

The 403 Forbidden error is an HTTP status code that means that accessing the page or resource you were trying to reach is absolutely forbidden for some reason.

You will find more information about this error message on the following page.

https://kb.mediatemple.net/questions/1905/Why+am+I+seeing+a+403+Forbidden+error+message%3F#gs

Which WordPress version are you using?

Could you please try taking backup of your .htaccess file and adding following code in it overwriting existing one?

RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /
    RewriteRule ^index\.php$ - [L]

# add a trailing slash to /wp-admin
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/)?wp-admin$ $1wp-admin/ [R=301,L]

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -f [OR]
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -d
    RewriteRule ^ - [L]
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/)?(wp-(content|admin|includes).*) $2 [L]
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/)?(.*\.php)$ $2 [L]
    RewriteRule . index.php [L]

Kind Regards,
    Vinod Dalvi

• ProVentureMedia

Ok.
    The new htaccess file in place. On the primary domain, I added another page, switched static pages in the "Reading" setting, changed the "menu, and used every permalink setting. Nothing failed and acted correctly as hoped.

on a subdomain, beta01.enabledu.com , this is a different animal.

With permalinks as default, "reading" = set with either "blog" or "sample-page" as the posts page. No problems.

With permalinks as "post name", "reading" = Home for the static and Blog for the posts pages, Blog gets a 403.

With permalinks still as "post name", "reading" = Home for static and Sample page for the posts page, sample page looks fine and the page called Blog gets a 403.

It looks like it just doesn't like the word Blog.

I know, this is getting long here, bear with me! :slight_smile:

Somehow, under the /public_html, there was a folder called "Blog" with it's own htaccess file, wp-admin and wp-content folders. I think what happened is that the hosting account was created with one domain and recently was changed to another root level domain. The hosting company must have named the old single blog on this account and put it in a folder named.... you guessed it... "Blog" and it was overriding the settings for the correct htaccess, sunrise, etc.

Me thinks it is fixed.

Thank you Mr. Dalvi.

You made me think a little more abstract while I put wordpress through it's paces.

RESOLVED!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.