404 error page with theme, fine with default theme

Hello,
We are getting 404 errors when we click groups, activity, etc.. basically anything from the top menu. I activated the default theme for buddy press and that theme works fine.
http://www.joyoushome.com/social

I've gone through all the settings, I'm not sure what I'm missing... Any ideas?
Thanks for your help, Theresa

• Philip John
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Hi Theresa,

This sounds like it might be a Permalink or missing files issue. I have two suggests at this point;
    1. Update your permalinks structure (Settings > Permalinks) ensuring WordPress can edit your .htaccess file
    2. Check that all the files for the Blogs MU theme have uploaded correctly and that they have the correct permissions.

That should help to point out where the problem is!

Phil

• Theresa
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Hi Phil,
    The permalinks were the first thing I checked. File permissions for the theme, I'm confused there. I went through the themes manual and then checked the contents of the zip file; can you point me to the documentation for that? I don't recall changing theme file permissions; can you be more specific...

thanks, Theresa

• Theresa

All the file permissions in the theme are 755. The blog.dir, 755; is there a specific file in your theme I should be looking at? All the .php files are 644.
    I would think that if wordpress wasn't writing to the .htaccess that the default buddy press theme wouldn't work? .htaccess is 644.

Thanks, Theresa

• Theresa

I went ahead and uploaded fresh files of the theme, reactivated it and it still doesn't work. The buddy press default theme works fine. I didn't notice that my comments were not working in the root blog with the Blogs MU theme, but now work fine with the buddy press default activated.

Theresa

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya Theresa,

Sorry you're having trouble. The theme has no known bugs (though I realize this doesn't help you). Can you tell us what version of WordPress and BuddyPress you're running as well as any other plugins?

I can't think of what would cause this (other than a permalinks issue - such as Phil mentioned)

Let us know and we'll continue to support best we're able.

Thanks!

• Theresa

Hi,
    We are using WP 3.0; the current version of Buddy Press. FV all in one SEO pack plugin, photospace plugin, phpurchase (shopping cart for WP), wicket twitter widget, SI captcha, TS custom widgets.

I've done everything that the manual has said for the permalinks, since I can't sit anymore looking for answers on why it doesn't work I went ahead and activated the default theme instead which works fine...
    not sure what else to do...
    :slight_frown: Not too happy...
    Theresa

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya Theresa,

One other thought - anything showing in your error logs? It's really impossible for us to help you troubleshoot this further unless we can see what's happening.

It's almost surely a setting somewhere that is setup incorrectly. Also, let's verify that you're running BuddyPress 1.2.8 - I know my parents swear Windows XP is the 'latest version'. Never hurts to verify we're on the same page there as well.

I'm going to also ask the Theme Designer to chime in here as well.

thanks!

• Theresa

Oh my...I would hate to fall into the 'parent' category but I think it's 1.2.7 I just download this a month ago...! Maybe that's it, I'll try it tomorrow. The error log is rather greek to me; I don't decifer most errors correctly.
    I'll take another look tomorrow. I've re-designed the default but if I could get the theme working I'd at least have two to choose from...
    Thanks, Theresa

• Theresa

Ok, all updated to latest of both WP and BP, still not working. I did look at the error log but I could tell that my cart had some issues (ha!) but there were no buddy press errors.

I don't have a problem with you taking a look at my files if you want; just email me and I'll respond with the login.
    Theresa

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya Theresa,

Sorry we haven't found a solution thus far. It's really hard to help ya get it sorted without seeing the error 'in action'.

If you'd like, send me a message through our site's contact form. Just put my name (mason) in the subject and provide a link to this thread along with the necessary login info for your site.

I'll take a look, though again - I'll have to activate the theme.

Thanks!

• Richie_KS
    • HummingBird

hi theresa
    i see the issue solved already with link to activity, groups etc.

could you let me know if it involved theme or plugin issue so i can keep them
    on update bug trac..

cheers

ps
    sry i didn't getback on this early..luckly we still have awesome support followup:slight_smile:

• Theresa

Hi,
    I think you might be looking at the default theme that is up, which worked fine. I couldn't figure out why this theme wouldn't work, so Mason is looking behind the scenes for me to see what is going on.
    Thanks for the reply, Theresa

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.