404 Error When Attempting To Access Defender 'Security Tweaks'

Hello,

Recently I noticed that when I click on the 'Security Tweaks' section of WP Defender, it goes to our website's (https://cncmachines.net ) 404 error page.

From what I can tell, the other parts of WP Defender are working correctly.

The problem is that I cannot access my site's theme file editor as I had WP Defender disabling any theme file or plugin editing. Now when I try to go to the WP Defender 'Security Tweaks' section to allow theme file/plugin editing, I get a 404 error.

Any advice on how to best troubleshoot this issue?
Thanks for any help you can offer!

All the Best,
Matthew

  • Ash

    Hello Matthew

    Would you please enable debug mode and check if there is any error? To enable debug mode please go to wp-config.php and change

    define( 'WP_DEBUG', false );

    to

    define( 'WP_DEBUG', true );
    define( 'WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY', false );
    define( 'WP_DEBUG_LOG', true );

    And now, would you please run a conflict test? Please deactivate all plugins except this one and check if the problem gone. If so, then enable all plugins one by one and find which one is having conflict. You need to do the same with themes as well

    You can find the flowchart here: https://premium.wpmudev.org/docs/getting-started/getting-support/#chapter-1

    If you still have the issue, then get the debug.log file in wp-content folder and send to me.

    Also, Would you please enable support access so that I can check? Please follow this article to enable support access: https://premium.wpmudev.org/docs/getting-started/getting-support/#chapter-5

    Have a nice day!

    Cheers,
    Ash

  • Matthew

    Hi Ash,

    Thanks for the help! I've edited the wp-config file to allow for debugging but after trying to access the 'Security Tweaks' page via the WP admin dashboard, no debug.log file appears in the wp content folder. I'm assuming this means that there is a conflict with a current plugin since no errors are being thrown? I'm using cPanel to edit the files in our root directory.

    I do know that the issue seemed to arise shortly after upgrading to WooCommerce 3.3. If the WooCommerce update is the issue, could I roll it back to v3.2 instead of disabling it?

    If I do need to disable WooCommerce and/or other plugins, I'll have to wait for a low traffic time (like Saturday night, which is tomorrow night for me) as I would assume this would make parts of the site inoperable.

    On the other hand, in order to provide a temporary fix, could I manually switch the "define( 'DISALLOW_FILE_EDIT', true );" setting to false in order to allow for file editing?

    Again, I appreciate the help in this matter.

    All the Best,
    Matthew

  • Ash

    Hello Matthew

    You can allow file editing, that's fine.

    But as there is nothing to debug, so no error is generated. We are not quite sure if WooCommerce is the issue, but we can figure out by doing a conflict test.

    Would you please run a conflict test? Please deactivate all plugins except Defender and check if the problem gone. If so, then enable all plugins one by one and find which one is having conflict. You need to do the same with themes as well

    You can find the flowchart here: https://premium.wpmudev.org/docs/getting-started/getting-support/#chapter-1

    Please do it at your convenient time like weekend or when you have very low visitors on your site and let us know if you can find anything. Make sire you change the theme too but when you change theme, DO NOT visit Appearances > Widgets and Appearances > Menu page to keep the settings unchanged. You could also take a backup before doing a plugin conflict test so that you can restore if there is anything goes wrong.

    Have a nice day!

    Cheers,
    Ash

  • Matthew

    Hi Ash,

    My apologies for taking so long to respond, I hope you have been well.

    As it turns out, the problem was with our hosting provider's security/firewall service. I ended up having them disable it and everything went back to normal as far as I can tell. I'm going to be checking with them shortly to see if they have corrected the issue so we can re-enable the CDN/firewall service.

    I just wanted to thank you for your help and advice in dealing with this issue. Even though the problem ended up being on the hosting side, the info provided was still very helpful from a learning standpoint, especially regarding how to properly go through the troubleshooting process should a similar issue arise sometime in the future.

    Take Care,

    Matthew