404 Errors Occur When Going From Buddypress Navigational Links To WPMU Plugins

I've had this problem for the Events+ Plugin, the Membership plugin, and the Classifieds plugin too:

Whenever I navigate from a Buddypress page such as (Group/Members etc) to one of the pages of the WPMU plugins like the "Protected" page for Membership plugin, or the "Weekly Calendar" page for Events+ I get a 404 error. If I press refresh once, the page will load normally. This happens every time.

I've tried turning off all plugins, tried the whole permalinks flushing thing, and even chatted extensively with my hosting and they've said that the problem lies with the plugins themselves, because this problem doesn't occur on other pages.

Can someone help because this has made all these plugins I purchased unusable :slight_frown:

• aecnu

Greetings oytamuah,

Thank you for that additional input, it is certainly appreciated.

Nope the other person having a problem is not using Host Gator in this case but WP Engine.

I have also done some testing of your site and why don't you try like I did with two different browsers:

Go to myistanbul.org/groups/

Then enter the URL: myistanbul.org/calendar/ right after.

In Firefox worked flawlessly and in Chrome. In IE9 it choked and gave 404

Are you running some kind of caching?

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu

Greetings oytamuah,

This is indeed a tough one to figure out.

I created a page called Calendar and added the weekly calendar's shortcode in there.

Works for me! The strangest thing about this is that it is not a solid error.

On a refresh it clears up which is unbelievable. If it were a solid error then .... But in another ticket it was mentioned that WP Engine indeed has a cache going on it.

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/permalink-conflict-between-events-and-qa#post-280427

This would make sense if this is indeed the case.

Can you please double check on this possible caching for me?

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• oytamuah

I definitely don't have any cache plugins installed. After playing around some more with it, I've found some more weird behaviour that could help:

When I activate the front page editing option in the Events+ settings - the archive page loads a single event's event page instead of the archive itself. Also when going from the /members page to the /calendar page - the Event creation (front end) page loads up. Pressing refresh once loads the calendar. (so it's abit similar to the 404 error if you see what I mean except in this case it's a event creation page that loads).

To make things even weirder, when I go from /members to another page like my terms of service and privacy page (which is generated using a shortcode from a plugin called "Auto Terms of Service and Privacy Policy") then I again get the event creation page that loads up..

• aecnu

Greetings oytamuah,

Thank you once again for the additional feedback.

I am at a total loss why any of this is happening. I cannot reproduce it on my test production server in any way, shape, or form.

Therefore I will see if I can get the lead developer in here with his invaluable insight into this plugin for his advice/advise for us.

Though this may take a bit longer then a normal ticket, I will try to get him in here asap.

Cheers, Joe

• oytamuah

I've contacted my host about the problem and they had this to say:

When this plugin is activated, it changes the way that WordPress handles URL rewrites internally. This does not make any visible changes to your site's permalink options, but does so on a deeper level.

The only way I've found to remedy this problem is to first disable the Events + plugin, then navigate to the Permalinks options in your WordPress dashboard. From there, you have to reset the Permalinks structure to the Default settings, click save. Then set the permalinks back to /%category%/%postname%/ to resolve the issue.

They then went on to say that the responsibility lies with the plugin creator and therefore won't be able to help me any further. So how can I actually get rid of this problem because I really want to use the Events+ plugin and is the reason I joined WPMU :slight_frown:

• aecnu

Greetings oytamuah,

Thank you for the additional input, it is appreciated.

Earlier in the course of this ticket I had reached the point of the extent of my knowledge to be able to help you with this ticket.

And that is true with the possible exception of proving it is the host or not and only if you are running a windows based computer.

Therefore we are now at the mercy of lead developer input to move further in possible resolution of this issue.

Hopefully he will make it in here with his specific expertise with this plugin and enlighten us to what the issue could possibly be.

Sincerely, Joe

• aecnu

Greetings oytamuah,

We have two problems here, one of them is bumping your own ticket which moves the ticket out of aging therefore lowering its priority within the system.

Second is that I am unable to replicate the issue and there is not one, not a single report from any of the other 8000+ members.

Makes ya wonder doesn't it?

That is why I will be setting up test installs for members to play with when they request permission to use it just to prove that it is indeed their hosting configuration.

Anyway, we are both (you and I) awaiting lead developer input.

Cheers, Joe

• oytamuah

Joe the fact that you suggest that there isn't anyone from 8000+ members to have reported this issue just shows how out of touch with reality you are. This plugin has been riddled with bugs and complaints on this board and most of the topics I've seen results in someone saying they have moved on to another plugin. I don't think you could even name 8 members who are using this plugin to its full capacity on a live site.

I paid good money for this plugin and I'd like for it to be functioning as advertised. You're still focusing on irrelevant matters like how you are unable to replicate the issue on a fresh install and whether this is your responsibility instead of trying to find fixes to the problem. I've actually noticed that constitutes a majority of your 'support' around here.

You mentioned the hosting as the problem - well the hosting people actually committed several people and several hours of their time to go into my site/server and diagnose the problem despite this not being their responsibility. Their conclusion was the problem only occurred when the Events+ plugin was activated - which I have confirmed upon testing. I haven't seen the same thoroughness concerning support from your end despite this being a site selling premium plugins and support.

It's been nearly a week and I've emphasized repeatedly how big of a problem this has been for me but yet still haven't heard from the developer or anyone about what can be done.

• Vladislav

Hello,

I am sorry for the apparent lack of response from my side this far, but I have been trying to replicate the issue and see what might be the root cause. Unfortunately, I haven't been successful this far. I assure you that there's nothing irrelevant in replicating the issue - in fact, that is the very first and most important step in solving an issue. Without being able to replicate an issue, we can't tell what goes wrong and where at all. Since neither me nor Joe were able to replicate the issue in different environments, there is probably something unique to your setup that's causing the issue.

The fact that you're also experiencing this with other plugins that deal with rewrites and the response you got from your hosting company could also be leads in this direction. Of course the plugin deals with rewrites - this is actually quite reasonable and something that WordPress expects/allows for: http://codex.wordpress.org/Rewrite_API

Having ruled out theme and plugin conflicts, as you already said, there aren't too many other options. There could be some sort of non-transparent caching going on on your site, which causes rewrites to not flush in time. Can we please make sure that this is not the case?

• aecnu

Greetings oytamuah,

Thank you for you input, it is totally humorous:
    Joe the fact that you suggest that there isn't anyone from 8000+ members to have reported this issue just shows how out of touch with reality you are.

Oh really, I churn out 60+ tickets a day, 1700+ tickets a month, and I am out of touch? .... lmao

And you are in touch because you have how many tickets? And you see how much everyday?

Do not forget, the only members posting here in the forums are those having trouble for one reason or another or those seeking to get their lifetime membership.

There are thousands not posting at all - because they are not having any issues.

I have a proposal for you that will end this what I suspect to be a $40 tree in a 10 cent hole issue in a non intrusive way if you are indeed using a Windows based computer, but first since Ve said that it sounds like a rewrite issue lets check your htaccess file:

# BEGIN WordPress
    RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /
    RewriteRule ^index\.php$ - [L]

# uploaded files
    RewriteRule ^files/(.+) wp-includes/ms-files.php?file=$1 [L]

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -f [OR]
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -d
    RewriteRule ^ - [L]
    RewriteRule . index.php [L]
    # END WordPress

Please advise what your htaccess looks like and if it is comparable to the above.

Cheers, Joe

• oytamuah

Thanks for looking into this Vlad, I really would not be making a fuss about it if it didn't impact the whole site (I've even considered changing every page to a post to circumvent the 404 errors, but that only addresses some of the issues). I am also willing to accept some bugs and incomplete features here and there because I think this has potential to be a great plugin. However, currently it's really unusable for me.

Hostgator have confirmed they don't use caching of any type. They suggested the .htaccess file could hold some clues. I'm posting it below. The thing that stood out to them was the RewriteRule ^index\.php$ - [L] line but even after removing that it didn't solve the problem. I also tried the htaccess suggested by Joe but that didn't resolve it either. This is what I've had:

# BEGIN WordPress
    <IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
    RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /
    RewriteRule ^index\.php$ - [L]
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
    RewriteRule . /index.php [L]
    </IfModule>

# END WordPress

Some other clues that might be of help. Like I said pages all return 404 errors when going from a Buddypress registered component page to a non Buddypress page. For some reason going to the page of the WPMU Q&A plugin works fine, so that must somehow register fine. Categories/posts work fine also.

Another weird thing I noticed is that when I delete the plugin either through Wordpress plugins page or delete the plugin folder in cPanel - the next time I install the plugin, it remembers all the settings and the Events themselves...is that normal?

Joe: I'm not interested in getting in a war of words with you, I've tried to remain cordial through all my support tickets despite issues not resolving. I'm sure the quantity of work you churn out is incredible but I'm more personally interested in quality of service. I've personally been stuck on this problem for the past month and have spent an insubordinate amount of time on it, read more threads on this Events+ board than you can imagine. I've even upgraded to VPS hosting because I thought the 404 errors came from poor hosting. I asked three different Hostgator staff to look into this issue. I've run out of options.

The site development is too far for me to start over at this point, and have committed too much time into this plugin to look for another one. If I had anywhere else to turn to I would, but no amount of money or outside help is going to solve this issue that lies with this plugin. So considering the extremity of my situation I don't think anything I've said is humorous at all.

• aecnu

Greetings oytamuah,

Understood and we can certainly work together on this, I keep forgetting the frustration members have when they cannot get these things to work as anticipated and for that I sincerely apologize.

The plugins indeed store information in the database and just simply deleting the files and replacing them will not clear the database settings.

The membership plugin stores its database settings in the wp_m_ tables

I believe Events+ is storing its data in the wp_eab_booking_meta and wp_eab_bookings tables.

This of course can be confirmed by looking into the tables themselves and looking at the content.

I've even upgraded to VPS hosting because I thought the 404 errors came from poor hosting. I asked three different Hostgator staff to look into this issue. I've run out of options.

This will not help you sir if this is indeed a server configuration issue, which if you would like we can figure out without invasive techniques.

Do you have a Windows based computer i.e. XP, Vista, or Windows 7?

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu

Greetings oytamuah,

OK lets do it then. My proposal is to have everything set up perfectly on your WordPress installation so as to be the way it should be working.

I am going to copy your web site to another server without ever going into your cPanel. Then you can access and test your web site by using your domain name and the IP I will give you after the transfer using this technique as described here.

You can then test to see if the issue still exists.

If you are ready to try this non invasive procedure, please send me your cPanel log in details to aecnu (at) incsub.com and please be sure to include a copy of this tickets URL within the email:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/404-errors-occur-when-going-from-buddypress-navigational-links-to-wpmu-plugins

After you send me the email and I get this setup I will send you the IP for entering into your computer as mentioned above and you can test it out.

This will be 100% conclusive if it is a server configuration issue or something else. I believe we will find that all will work well.

I mentioned none invasive because I will never access your control panel myself, but my server will request your server send it a copy of the web site.

The only reason I would possibly need to enter your cpanel on your current host is if they have made the user name root, then I will need to log in just long enough to get a complete backup, but hopefully not because things will be much easier otherwise.

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu

Greetings oytamuah,

Please give me a resend, my sincere apology that I messed up the email address originally using .org and have since corrected to .com --> aecnu (at) incsub.com

Do not worry there should not be any kind of security breach since it either bounced or black holed to EDU Blogs.

I did a trace to make sure :smiley:

Sorry for the inconvenience and look forward to receiving the details so you can test this out.

Sincerely, Joe

• aecnu

Greetings oytamuah,

Thank you for checking in on this and certainly you can change your admin password.

I just went in and cleaned up the two files I made from backing up the site and database.

Due to the fact that you control panel is Plesk it has made a considerable challenge to transfer what should have been an easy operation but the Web Hosting company conveniently left out the required files to transfer to a different type of cPanel as shown in the screen shot below.

However, surrender is not an option and I accept the challenge from the backup files. If anything it gave me the opportunity to see how the Plesk control panel configures backup files.

I have only the Database files to deal with now which indeed I have a copy of.

Should be able to test this soon, I will let you know but please feel free to change the credentials to how you see fit.

Sincerely, Joe

• aecnu

Greetings oytamuah,

Thank you for your patience and I have managed to finally get this transferred and what a challenge it was.

The delay in part was due to the fact to transfer out of plesk the account name must be known and was not provided in the credentials you sent me though I did finally figure it out.

I checked the groups URL and back to your main site and received no errors.

It appears that nothing comes up on the group URL on either server.

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• PC

Hello @investoreports

Greetings and thanks for posting on the thread.

I will really appreciate if you could please open up a new thread here : https://premium.wpmudev.org/qanda/ as its a pretty old thread and the reason why this might be happening on your site may vary according to the settings on your site.

I hope you understand the reason we are asking you to do that as it will help us serve you better :slight_smile:

Cheers, PC

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.