404 Errors on remote backup

While Snapshot Pro seems to work fine for local or Dropbox backup, the new remote backup feature fails, reporting "instead of the beautiful response we expected, we got this:"
followed by the content of a 404 page.

Could you let me know what files Snapshot is trying to access so I can debug this further?

• Sajid

Hi Boaz Arad,
    Hope you are doing good today :slight_smile:

I just tested it on my own website and it worked just fine form. After completing the backup it refreshed the same page and listed the newly created cloud backup.

You get 404 error on Managed Backups page or when it finishes and refreshes the page ?

Can you see this backup archive in The Hub ?

Take care and have a nice day :slight_smile:

Best Regards,
    Sajid

• Boaz Arad

Hi Sajid,
    Managed backups actually work quite well on most of my sites, a handful of sites fail during the backup process.

After clicking "backup now" on the "managed backup" screen I'll see a notice saying "processing step 1" which then updates to "processing step 2" and then an error is displayed.

I cannot see a backup archive in the hub - so the it seems that the process is failing.

I'll note again that snapshot can successfully complete local and Dropbox backups on the same site.

Regards,

Boaz.

• Nastia

Hello Boaz, I trust you are doing well!

Would you please enable WordPress debug on the sites where the backup is failing?

Add the following code to the wp-config.php file:

define( 'WP_DEBUG', true );
    define( 'WP_DEBUG_LOG', true );
    define( 'WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY', false );

Please make sure that you insert this line BEFORE /* That's all, stop editing! Happy blogging. */ in the wp-config.php file.

Rerun the back-up from Snapshot > Manage Backups. If it will fail again, all errors will be saved in the debug.log file inside the /wp-content/ directory. Save debug file as .txt file and attach it here so we can check the errors.

Also, would you please grant access to your site from WPMU DEV > Support so I can have a closer look at this issue?

Please advise,

Cheers,
    Nastia

• Sajid

Hi Boaz Arad,
    Hope you are doing good today :slight_smile:

Thanks for sharing the debug log with us but unfortunately that did not helped to solve the mystery.

But as you mentioned that plugin failed to access the admin-ajax.php file is the main reason of Snapshot not working. Because Snapshot uses WordPress admin ajax to create the snapshots.

What error you getting while creating a snapshot ?

Also, try it on a staging site and enable support staff access there, if its still not working.

Best Regards,
    Sajid

• Boaz Arad

Hi Sajid,
    I've talked to our hosting company, which had this to say:

thank you for providing us with additional information. We have tested the issue and managed to reproduce it. Issue was related to the mod_security which recognized request made by plugin as being malicious. After we turned off the mod_security it looks like script went to timeout every time we have tried to run it.

That issue may be related to the plugin itself but I have changed max_execution_time directive for your account to 600 seconds (was 30) to see if that helps. Can you please check if backup completes now?

Sadly, the issue persists.
    I've granted you access to the production site, so please be gentle :slight_smile:

• Boaz Arad

Hi Sajid,
    Automatic backup does not work - this is the latest from our server support team:

I have enabled logging in the plugin and found the below logs while doing backup.

[snapshot][2016-09-07 23:03:31][Info] Starting backup
    [snapshot][2016-09-07 23:03:32][Info] Created the backup and added the queues
    [Queue][2016-09-07 23:03:35][Notice] Fetching [250] files as chunk 1
    [snapshot][2016-09-07 23:13:27][Info] Successfully processed backup files chunk

Could you please check with the plugin support and see why it is failing after saying successfully processedbackup files chunk ?

• Boaz Arad

It's been over a week since my last update, and I have yet to receive a response. This is far from the level of support I expected from your advertisements.

In the mean time, I've migrated a site suffering from this problem to a different host, and the problem disappeared - hence this is certainly a server-side issue.

Sadly, I have other sites hosted there than cannot be moved and I need to be able to instruct the hosting provider in how to correct the issue on their side.

Please escalate this to a representative who can diagnose the error!

• Sajid

Hi Boaz Arad,
    Hope you are doing good today!

I am sorry for delay on this ticket. But please let me clear that, its already escalated to next level where our developer is working on this issue. I got his reply regarding this issue and he said that its most likely a hosting issue as you confirmed in your last post above.

I can duly understand that it is not possible to migrate all the sites to other hosts. I pinged him again to get some technical details for your hosting to resolve this issue.

Either myself or developer will post a reply here as soon as possible.

Best Regards,
    Sajid

• Sajid

Hi Boaz Arad,
    Hope you are doing good today!

I heard back from the developer and he ensured that the reported file exists in the latest version of the plugin.

That means this file got missed while installing, updating or moving the plugin. Would you please, delete the existing plugin and then install it again. This should fix the missing file issue, after that, please run the backup again and lets see if it works this time or not.

Best Regards,
    Sajid