404 Everywhere - Content not accessable

I run a Multisite with the wpmudev theme bpdaily. Link
Something happened! If I click on content or on subpages there is nothing (404), only my Home page is still active. I even cant access the subpage dashboard!

I backuped my page, but nothing changed!! (the content is not deleted i checked it in the backend)

Do you know what can cause this? If the backup didnt change it, maybe something in the database?!

please help, Kev

• strategyforge
    • Flash Drive

Hi Elliott,
    Yes did that and created a new .htaccess now the posts and pages on the mainpage are back and accessable!

But If i want to reach a dashboard of a subpage it says Timeout :slight_frown: and by visiting a subpage on frontend it shows blank html. (gaming-tools.com/dota)

Maybe it does not find the theme anymore?
    no access via admin dashboard is weird ..

• strategyforge
    • Flash Drive

I installed a backup (Everything! in FTP is replaced) , removed the themes, turned all plugins off, and used twenty ten now. Still no Access to the Admin Area of subpages. No clue what to do..

Im thinking about reinstalling everything, but well i cant export the posts of the subpages (because I have no Admin area access) Any idea?

Thank you!
    Kev

• Elliott Bristow
    • The Bug Hunter

You say you created a new .htaccess file? This is very likely the problem. It seems that everythign is returning a 404 error, includign the stylesheet etc on yoru sub sites... which means either wordpress doesn't know Multisite is installed, or the htaccess is forwarding the page to the wrong place. Something along those lines.

What do you have in your new htacess file?

• Brashell
    • The Bug Hunter

I found doing my .htaccess in boiler plate fixed this issue for me when I had it. Do you think that you can post your .htaccess here so I may take a look at it. (I have several other methods of fixing this issue, I have had this problem several times, boiler plater works 75% of the time for me)

• strategyforge
    • Flash Drive

hi Elliott & Brashell,

thanks for answer that was totally the right hint! I have a Multisite with sub-directories, when I uploaded the .htaccess it wasnt the one for Multisite.

Now i used the given code at "network setup" for the .htaccess and it seems to work all fine again!

Thank you very much that admin area error made me crazy!

• septl
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Hi there,

I seem to have the same issue here, but I just don't have sub-directories where I can put .htaccess code. The thing is that only some of the sites on my multisite is giving error on the subpages and not all of them. I have tried with permalinks and permalinks work if I use the "ugly" link with numbers + letters in the URL. However when I try to make the URL pretty with the permalinks then it doesn't work.

I really have no idea what this could be now. Hope you can help me out. It's getting pretty urgent.

Best regards,
    Septl

• septl
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Hi again,

I think it really has something to do with the .htaccess file since the specific site tells me to update the htaccess file after I have saved the custom structure permalinks. However I really don't have a clue where to update the .htaccess file per site?

Best regards,
    Septl

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.