404 Not Found with MultiSite

For every page except for the main page I get a "404 Not Found" on my Wordpress MultiSite setup. I did a clean install of Wordpress and Multisite, and haven't done anything to it aside from installing a theme.

The message I am getting:

Not Found

The requested URL /test-page/ was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

The installation of Wordpress itself was done automatically by my hosting provider. I installed MultiSite according to their guides, and it is working flawlessly aside from the problem above.

Any help is highly appreciated. Right now I can't do anything with my websites.

• Ash

Hello Luuk

Having a 404 error for sub pages is a common error if you use wordpress. Please check the following:
    1. Go to Dashboard > Settings > Permalinks > Select anything but default and Save. Save again even if there is anything than default is selected already.
    2. If the page still doesn't work, go to file manager and check if there is a file called .htaccess in root. If there is no such file then create one with the following content:

# BEGIN WordPress
    <IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
    RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /
    RewriteRule ^index\.php$ - [L]
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
    RewriteRule . /index.php [L]
    </IfModule>
    # END WordPress

3. If you still find the page broken, then ask your host if mod_rewrite is enabled on your server. If mod_rewrite is not enabled, then pretty permalink will not work.

If you are on nginx server, add the following in the server block:

location / {
                try_files $uri $uri/ /index.php?$args;
    }

Hope it helps! Please feel free to ask more questions if you have any.

Have a nice day!

Cheers,
    Ash

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.