500 error after customers completes paypal transaction

I have a site where I sell downloads. When I tested it, it worked fine. Nothing new added or changes besides updates. First customer emails and says site crashed after payment. Payment did go thru, but did not allow download. I set up a test item for 1.00 and had same thing happen. 500 Error, refreshed an was back at checkout page. Access has been granted, TIA!
https://www.paintprecise.com/store-2/products/test/

• Chris
    • The Incredible Code Injector

I went thru all my settings, as I recently moved this site and can't find anything. I did notice that under Store>Settings>Notifications that Products was marked, when I try to change it to mixed orders and save, it reverts back to products. But it's only the wording and short codes that change, so not sure if it is the issue.

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello Chris,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

I accessed and checked your site. I have temporarily switched it to my PayPal sandbox account (it's back live with your credentials) and I couldn't complete the transaction either. Unlike you though I didn't get any error but instead after confirming payment I was just taken back to the checkout page - where I was asked again to make payment. That's a bit different than in your case but still, it's not the way it should work :slight_smile:

You mentioned that this only started to happen after update. Can you tell me please what has been updated recently?

Could you try also the standard conflict test procedure (as described on this flowchart: https://premium.wpmudev.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/Support-Process-Support-Process.gif)? It happens sometimes that updates brings some change that results in incompatibility and unexpected issues so that would help us identify which particular aspect of the site might be affecting checkout.

Best regards,
    Adam

• Chris
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Hi Adam,
    Thanks for the quick reply, you are so quick I am going to have to change my pattern of putting in a ticket and then digging deeper! :wink:
    I had already done the conflict test, just forgot to mention.
    I have been having issues with the Gmail SMTP plugin on another site and had my sysadmin run an error report and sure enough, it was that. So i deleted and readded and now it works fine.

The setting for "mixed products" still won't stay "marked", but the email notifications I received were the ones for "mixed products" so it seems there is still a glitch. Not sure if you want to send that upstream and mark this as resolved or ? Thanks

• Dimitris
    • Support Star

Hey there Chris,

hope you're doing good and don't mind chiming in! :slight_smile:

I'm also very glad that you've managed to sort that out!

About the email notifications, there are these three different types (physical, digital and mixed) and the appropriate one should go out after a successful payment. In this admin screen you can simply change the content of all of these emails and these are actual tabs rather than selection switches, that's why the first (physical) is always selected on page load.

Hope that was some help, let me know if further assistance is required!
    Take care,
    Dimitris

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.