500 Error - Maybe Mapping Related

My domain mapping plugin was working fine until recently. I using MarketPress on a Network. I have a domain - baileypaul.com that I am using to test out mapping to my subsites. I had set up a test subsite, "mydomain.com/test1" a couple weeks ago and mapped baileypaul.com to that subsite and worked fine. Since then, I have upgraded to WP 3.2 and added about 40 themes.

I wanted to test out another subsite so I deleted the "test1" site, deleted the user assigned to "test1", created a new subsite called "mydomain.com/test3". The site worked fine as a directory url. But then I tried mapping to baileypaul.com and gives me a default apache screen.

"Weird" I thought. "Maybe there was a problem with the domain baileypaul.com?" So I created a subdomain called "test3.punchupproductions.com" so that I could map it to "mydomain.com/test3" site. So I did just that and now my whole network, front and backend, is giving me an error 500.

Please help!

Setup:
Network using directories
Plugins:
Wordpress: 3.2 (upgraded from 3.1)
MarketPress - current version
Domain Mapping - Current Version
- Using many other plugins but I don't think they are related to the problem

• aecnu

Greetings dmurphy4,

Wordpress: 3.2 (upgraded from 3.1)

WordPress 3.3.2 is the current version, is this not what you mean?

I wanted to test out another subsite so I deleted the "test1" site, deleted the user assigned to "test1", created a new subsite called "mydomain.com/test3". The site worked fine as a directory url. But then I tried mapping to baileypaul.com and gives me a default apache screen.

Here it seems that you are trying to map the subdomain to the TDL --> baileypaul.com
    which will not work.

"Weird" I thought. "Maybe there was a problem with the domain baileypaul.com?" So I created a subdomain called "test3.punchupproductions.com" so that I could map it to "mydomain.com/test3" site. So I did just that and now my whole network, front and backend, is giving me an error 500.

In this example your trying to map a sub domain to a sub domain, and I am guessing that the TLD already has a site?

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• dmurphy4

Mornin' to ya Joe!

WordPress 3.3.2 is the current version, is this not what you mean?

Yes - I meant upgraded to wordpress 3.3.2 .

Here it seems that you are trying to map the subdomain to the TDL --> baileypaul.com
    which will not work.

No. baileypaul.com would be the domain of my subsite and the TDL would be "mydomain.com".

In this example your trying to map a sub domain to a sub domain, and I am guessing that the TLD already has a site?

No. In this example I am trying to map a sub domain "test3.punchupproductions" to the TLD - "mydomain.com/test3/".

Hope this helps clarify.

Thanks!

• aecnu

Good Morning to you dmurphy4!

Thank you for the additional clarification, it is greatly appreciated.

The TLD is only mydomain.com, at best the mydomain.com/test3/ is a subdomain or sub folder but is not a TLD.

Here is a clarification of a TLD:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/new-domains-all-going-to-the-domaincom-instead-of-newdomaincom?replies=10#post-214625

In addition, it appears that you are trying to map a sub domain to a sub domain which the last I knew does not work with our Domain Mapping plugin but does in fact work with Donncha's WordPress MU Domain Mapping.

Our Domain Mapping plugin does work great when mapping a TLD to a sub domain as it is meant to do.

Please advise if I have successfully relayed the concept of how this is supposed to work.

Cheers, Joe

• dmurphy4

Hi Joe,

Further clarification - sorry for the confusion:

- TLD (Top Level Domain) would be mydomain.com
    - The sub account url created would be mydomain.com/test3
    - The domain mapped to mydomain.com/test3 is test3.punchupproductions.com

I now understand that subdomains were not meant to work WPMU's Domain Mapping plug in.

But it is unfortunate that this plug broke my entire site and I have to revert to a previous backup. I think that there should be some sort of error catching to prevent this from happening to other users.

Thanks for the insight.

• aecnu

Greetings dmurphy4,

I am sorry to hear that it broke your installation and I commend you on having a backup :slight_smile:

It is not necessary to over write your whole installation, all that needs to be done is to remove the sunrise.php statement from your wp-config.php file and of course either de-activate the Domain Mapping plugin or remove it entirely - simple as pie.

Regarding a warning, this is not a common problem because folks do not normally try to map sub domains to sub domains and there is no indication that it does this task, as a matter of fact it says Offering folks the ability to use their own domain name which is absolutely true.

Maybe we should put the "Only use as directed" label on the plugins :wink:

Cheers, Joe