500 error only when going to Network dashboard from a single IP

I had a functioning Multisite install with no problems. I moved it to a new server this weekend and most things work. This is the one big problem I just can not seem to solve nor can anyone else that has looked it for me. So here goes....

If you are anywhere other than my home network, you can access everything like normal before the move. From my home network, though, I can only get to the sub sites and the sub site dashboards. If I try to access the wp-admin/network dashboard I get a 500 server error. Only on the main site and the network admin, though. All sub sites seem to work perfectly fine.

I can even use my mobile phone and get to it fine but switch to the wifi at home and the problem persists. Proxy's all return a login page but I just get the white screen of death no matter what device I try to use on my home network. That includes multiple phones, tablets, macs and laptops.

We have tried a long list of things to resolve the issue but nothing seems to give us any clues.
- The server doesn't appear to be blocking my IP or we wouldn't be able to get to the sub sites and their dashboards.
- There are no logs that report any issues on the server that anyone has been able to find.
- The WP debug doesn't show anything different when I try to connect.
- I do get the SSL connection and the lock in place before it fails so the server is responding clean to the URL
- We deleted and rebuilt the htaccess file multiple times and multiple ways.

Any ideas of where else to look or how to trap the problem in some way? I have smaller problems I can resolve easily if I wasn't losing so much time sorting out this problem.

• Rupok

Hi Donna, hope you had a wonderful day.

Internal server error is not specific to WordPress, and it can happen with anything else running on your server as well. Due to the generic nature of this error, it does not tell the developer anything. Asking how to fix an internal server error is like asking your doctor how to fix the pain without telling them where the pain is. Having that said, internal server error in WordPress is often caused by plugin and/or theme functions. Other possible causes of internal server error in WordPress that we know of are: corrupted .htaccess file and PHP memory limit.

There are lots of other things involved at server end. You can more idea regarding this from this article: http://www.wpbeginner.com/wp-tutorials/how-to-fix-the-internal-server-error-in-wordpress/

And while you try those suggestion in the article above, can you turn on debug mode in WordPress? To enable it, open your wp-config.php file and look for define(‘WP_DEBUG’, false);. Change it to:

define('WP_DEBUG', true);

In order to enable the error logging to a file on the server you need to add yet one more similar line:

define( 'WP_DEBUG_LOG', true );

In this case the errors will be saved to a debug.log log file inside the /wp-content/directory.

Depending on whether you want your errors to be only logged or also displayed on the screen you should also have this line there, immediately after the line mentioned above:

define( 'WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY', false );

The wp-config.php is located in your WordPress root directory. It’s the same file where the database configuration settings are. You will have to access it by FTP or SFTP in order to edit it.

Past errors here. If file is very long, paste them to a text file and attach with your reply.

Have a nice day. Cheers!
    Rupok

• Donna

I am well aware of the madness of tracking a 500 error. The fact that this only occurs when it is being accessed by any device on my internal network is indeed maddening.

We have turned on debug and tracked it, as I mentioned. It does not show any new log entries which is why we were looking for new ideas of things to try. You don't need to explain what it means. The logs in the debug file do not change when I run into the problem. I just rebuilt the ones we had from yesterday to show it to you, though.

It is all one debug file that is attached (debug from home), I simply put a line between the activity of two different sub-sites to make it easier. The first section is when I access a sub-site that is using the Twenty Twelve theme. I can browse that sub-site and update anything from the dashboard within that site all I want. But, the minute I try to access anything on the main site or the Network admin site it just gives me the 500 error.

I can even go to another sub-site with no problem, which is what I did with the second section of the debug below. The errors it throws are from the Medico theme that sub-site is using. Otherwise, the same things happen - all good until I go to the Network admin or main site pages or dashboard.

If I disconnect from my network and use any other options - I don't get the 500 errors. I roamed around all over the sub-sites, main site, and network admin without any problems at all. That activity is in the other debug file (debug from outside). I just connected to my personal hot spot instead of my home network. Everything works perfectly.

Error log: http://pastebin.com/RHA49dgQ

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.