500 error when activating Marketpress

Hey guys, I'm getting a 500 error when installing Marketpress. Here are my debug reports:

Notice: Undefined index: allowed in /home4/urbanruc/public_html/wp-content/plugins/marketpress/marketpress.php on line 505

Notice: Undefined index: page in /home4/urbanruc/public_html/wp-content/themes/DynamiX/lib/adm/index.php on line 1914

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 67108864 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 232 bytes) in /home4/urbanruc/public_html/wp-admin/includes/list-table.php on line 104

I am using the Dynamix theme, which has caused errors before (see: https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/500-error-when-fundraiser-is-activated#post-200924)

So I changed back to Twenty Eleven and tried activating Marketpress and was presented with this error:

Notice: Undefined index: allowed in /home4/urbanruc/public_html/wp-content/plugins/marketpress/marketpress.php on line 505

I'm looking into the line's mentioned in the errors, any ideas on your end?

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hiya !

Greetings and thanks for posting on the forums.

I see that the error might be due to insufficient memory as you may have noticed on the issue you were facing with the fundraiser plugin.

Just to ensure whether its due to the memory, could you please try and disable all the plugins apart from the plugin in question and see if that resolves the issue ?

Or perhaps,

Try to increase or remove memory_limit in php.ini.

Find something like this and change value of memory_limit

; Maximum amount of memory a script may consume (128MB)
    ; http://php.net/memory-limit
    memory_limit = 128M

You can also remove limit using a code

Example:

ini_set('memory_limit', '-1');

You can also try to set memory limit from .htaccess file by adding line

php_value memory_limit 128M

(128M is just an example)

Note: For shared hosting I highly doubt that you can change memory limit.

Please advise !

Cheers
    PC

• ebreuers
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Hi PC,

Thanks for your reply. I've increased the mem limit to 256MB (with no success).

However, after deactivating the other plugins, Marketpress activated with no problem. I started to activate my other plugins one-by-one and the problem occurred again when I activated "Ultimate Branding".

I can install Marketpress by itself, but I still need other plugins (below) to deliver my services properly:

- Akismet
    - Google Analytics
    - Buddypress
    - Pro Sites
    - WPMU Dev Dashboard
    - Snapshot

What do you suggest? I'm going to try another increase in my memory_limit.

Best Regards,
    Eric

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hey Eric,

Thanks for writing back. Now as we are sure that the memory is the culprit in this case... I am gonna have a look at a few more things and see if I can find something helpful here.

Also, please let me know how the increase in the memory_limit helps here.

Cheers
    PC

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hey Eric,

I would like to know how much memory comes with your hosting, as I doubt that even after changing the settings its getting applied.

Could you please contact your host once and check with them how much memory your hosting comes with ?

Please advise

Cheers
    PC

• ebreuers

Hey PC,

So after my chat session with Bluehost it appears I have a maximum limit of 256M before my account is throttled.

The rep stated that if I need higher than 256M there is an issue with the coding which I would have to agree with at this point. That being said, I know the Marketpress plugin works fine. I installed it on a client's blog a week ago without any issues.

I think it has something to do with the Dynamix theme, Pro Sites and the Multisite installation on my site.

I was able to overcome issues that these plugins were causing a few months ago with Aaron, but there have been a couple updates to my theme since then. The strange thing is that Twenty Eleven doesn't solve this problem...

What do you think?

-Eric

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hey Eric,

Once again, I would request you to get back to the hosting ppl and ask them about the memory limit is for your hosting account (Not just WordPress, but your whole hosting account)

As with the Dynamix theme disabled, (Which I doubted might be creating issues) I do not see any other reason for this problem apart from memory issues on the host side.

Cheers
    PC

• ebreuers

Hey PC,

I'm just waiting for a chat session to become available. But I'm pretty sure I have the unlimited hosting package.

I had a full suite of plugins working before, membership was causing issues but MP, pro sites and a bunch of others were working just fine. I tore down the site to redesign and now the issues are starting.

I'll let you know about the hosting as soon as they connect.

-Eric

• ebreuers

Hey, just wanted to follow up on this. The issue is now resolved, here's how I fixed it:

When I checked my php settings, I had an older version of php active. I activated version 5.4 and got Marketpress working.

Thought this would be a helpful bit of info in case this scenario comes up again :slight_smile:

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

oops,

Looks like we missed the basic :slight_frown:

That should have been automatically updated by the host ? Shouldn't it ? Well, my host does it for me itself :smiley:

Thanks for coming back and sharing the solution dear ! A few points your way :slight_smile:

Cheers
    PC

• ebreuers

Thanks for the points PC :slight_smile:

There was a list of optional PHP versions on my server, I'm not sure if it's supposed to be an automatic update. No big deal, just happy to have it sorted!

Thanks for all your help

Eric

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.