500 Errors caused by Out of Memory

Hi Again,

I am having a hard time getting things to work. I have installed most of your plugins in my multisite and allocated far more memory than the limits allow in my PHP.ini Yet, I can access the admin for a while and then I get 500 errors as I activate the plugins. 98% of the plugins I am using are by WPMU and even when I disable 2% that are not, I still get the 500 Error and all the sites are inaccessible. I was wondering if you could help me out so I can get going once and for all. Here is the latest text from my server's error log:
PHP Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 52428800 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 4864 bytes) in /hermes/bosoraweb063/b1343/ipg.soulfulwriter/wp-content/plugins/pro-sites/pro-sites-files/modules/bulk-upgrades.php on line 56
PHP Warning: Unkno
20121201T175647: http://www.soulfulwriters.com/wp-admin/index.php
PHP Warning: session_start(): open(/var/php_sessions/sess_6dd1bba0a489193745b5b5e5d01a5701, O_RDWR) failed: No such file or directory (2) in /hermes/bosoraweb063/b1343/ipg.soulfulwriter/wp-content/plugins/comments-plus/lib/external/facebook/facebook.php on line 37
PHP Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 52428800 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 77824 bytes) in /hermes/bosoraweb063/b1343/ipg.soulfulwriter/wp-content/plugins/wordpress-chat/wordpress-chat.php on line 1104

How much memory does it take to run these plugins? I've allocated 256M already when the max is 64M. I wonder if I should just install separate instances of WP for my sites and run the plugins individually in each site with the sites having their own database.

Thank you for your prompt assistance.

Kind regards,

Barbara

• aecnu

Greetings Barbara,

Thank you for your input and for bringing this item to our attention.

In most cases the best setting for php memory is 128MB and according to the figures you have given you have allocated only approximately 51MB's and to prove that I practice what I preach on my WPMU optimized servers we run 512MB's and have never had any issue like this from any client ever.

http://wpmu-hosting.org/phpinfo.php

Therefore please see if you can indeed boost your php memory up to 128MB minimum

Many people do not realize that hosting is indeed the most important thing about their installation and not that this is the case with you, but usually try to skimp on hosting leaving themselves open to a whole pack of issues to include memory issues.

Please advise if indeed setting your php.ini memory to 128MB resolves your issue.

Look forward to hearing form you in any event.

Cheers, Joe

• soulfulwriter

Hi Joe,

Thank you for your prompt reply. I wonder how 250M translate to just 51MB. My hosting provider, which hosts WP, says that they only allow 64M of allocated memory since it's a shared hosting. I thought that I had gone way over their limit.

Is there a reliable yet an affordable hosting service for Wordpress that you can recommend? I am tired of getting these errors and having my sites go down (hence, losing members and clients). At this point, I am willing to change hosting providers but must be one that gives me access to make changes as needed in the PHP.ini config (which this one does). I was going to switch to BlueHost or 1&1 until I read that they do not allow direct access to PHP and any changes have to be requested. I don't like that since it causes delays. I can understand their reasoning but I still prefer to have more control. Until my sites start producing serious steady income, I cannot afford to change to dedicated hosting.

Anyway, I will see if I can change the mem allocation to 512MB and if that will solve this problem once and for all with this server. I'll let you know in a few minutes.....

Thanks for all your help.

Kind regards,

Barbara

• soulfulwriter

Hi Joe,

I made all the changes and I still got the 500 error. I disabled all the plugins via FTP and I got access back. It seems that it's one or more of the plugins. The error log listed comments-plus and the wpmu-facebook ones as having problems but when I disabled only those two, nothing changed. So, I guess that others are causing it too. I guess I'll have to enable them one by one again until I find the culprit. I'll let you know which ones cause the problem.

Thanks for all your help and patience. I am seriously considering switching to your hosting services.....

Kind regards,

Barbara

• aecnu

Greetings Barbara,

Thank you for your input and your confidence.

What I see going on there in this case is of course in the numbers and it appears that you cannot even get 64MB since the error above indicates 52428800 which you then divide by 1024k to get the exact amount of megabytes we are dealing with which in this case is 51.2 MB's and therefore something is just not right there.

I would love to have you on my servers and I assure you I will take care of your hosting needs. You can indeed make php.ini changes on our servers by simply placing a php.ini file into your root folder :smiley: though to date I do not know of one person who has needed to do this since the servers are indeed configured to perform and give generous allocations of resources to make WordPress screaming fast.

With that said I think the VPS/Reseller lite will work out for you just fine.

I am sure you would not regret the change and be absolutely happy as well as your clients.

Does your current host use cPanel as the hosting control panel?

If so the transfer can be made quick and painless.

Please keep me posted on how it goes with the plugin troubleshooting and I am looking forward to your results in any event.

Cheers, Joe

PS: Blue Host claims to have unlimited bandwidth but they indeed use bandwidth throttling which is disclosed on their reseller plans and that is like pushing your site through a straw instead of a fire hose. The sales gimmicks just completely "T" me off ... lol ... and it is what they do not disclose that worries me as well.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.