500 Internal Server Error

On logging into to my WP site today suddenly I'm getting a 500 internal server error.
Whats the recommended procedure to debug/fix this?

Thank you
Joe

• Nastia

Hello jsegal

I'm sorry to hear this!

500 internal server error, it's pretty s pretty generic and could mean anything!

First, please increase the PHP Memory Limit. Locate the php.ini file in your /wp-admin/ folder. If you don't have one, you can create it. Paste this code in there:

memory=256MB

If nothing changes, second step is to run a check for a conflict with a plugin.

Please deactivate all your plugins using FTP, or your host’s file manager. Navigate to the /wp-content/ folder. You will see a folder called plugins. Rename the plugins folder to anything that you like. In our example, we will call it “plugins.deactivate”. Once you do this, all of your plugins will be deactivated.

If the issue was with your plugins, you should be able to access your site. Once you do that, go back to your /wp-content/ directory and rename “plugins.deactivate” back to plugins. Now you can activate one plugin at a time until your site breaks again. At which point, you will know exactly which plugin caused the issue.

Let us know how it went and if you need any further assistance!

Cheers,
    Nastia

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.