500 Internal Server Error when installing plugins

I just installed the WPMU Dev on my multisite installation, everything worked fine. but when I want to install plugins like WP Smush Pro I get a red bar and error "Server error status: Internal Server Error [500]"

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for your help,
Philipp

• Dimitris
    • Support Star

Hey there Philipp,

hope you're doing good and thanks for joining us! :slight_smile:

I just accessed your website after you kindly granted support access for us and saw that error message in action.

Could you please try to deactivate all other plugins, revert to a default theme like TwentySeventeeen and test once more? If this resolves the error, it should be a conflict with some theme and/or plugin(s). Simply activate them back one-by-one checking each time the installation process until you get the 500 error again. Here's a nice flow chart for a generic conflict test
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/Support-Process-Support-Process.gif

If this has no effect, please access your server through FTP, edit the wp-config.php file, find a line like
    define('WP_DEBUG', false);
    and replace it with the following (if the above line doesn’t exist, simply insert next snippet just above the /* That's all, stop editing! Happy blogging. */ comment)

// Enable WP_DEBUG mode
    define('WP_DEBUG', true);
    // Enable Debug logging to the /wp-content/debug.log file
    define('WP_DEBUG_LOG', true);
    // Disable display of errors and warnings
    define('WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY', false);
    @ini_set('display_errors', 0);

Then go ahead and try to replicate the error by installing a plugin from WPMUDEV Dashboard.
    By doing so, a /wp-content/debug.log file should be created.
    Simply download it, rename it to debug.txt and attach it here in your next reply.

Warm regards,
    Dimitris

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.