500 server error instead of 404 in plugins and theme directories

Hi,

Subdirectory install of the WordPress Network doesn't handle 404 pages correctly for plugins and theme folders.

For example If I'm trying to access non-existing theme like http://example.org/wp-content/themes/iamnothere/, I'll get a 500 Internal server error response instead of 404 error.

Error log says: Request exceeded the limit of 10 internal redirects due to probable configuration error.

Any ideas what could cause behavior like this?

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings miviks,

This error is 100% a hosting error or hosting configuration error caused my a misconfiguration or more then likely an intentional hosting error limiting the number of redirects which in turn causes the error 500. This has nothing to do with WordPress directly.

However, to get to the bottom of this, please check your hosting error logs and post the errors that are there.

Look forward to seeing those errors and possibly offering a solution.

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• valu
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Hi,

Thank you for quick reply - there is nothing in the error logs, but these internal redirect related errors I mentioned in my first post.

I think that this is not a server issue, because I have tested this in five different servers and same problem occurs in each and every of them.

Moreover, if WordPress needs more than 10 internal redirects in order to get 404 page displayed, I think this has something to do with WordPress too.

Have you any subdirectory installs of WordPress Network running? I would be pleased, If you could test this in your own environment.

Just navigate to /wp-content/themes/andsomethingthatdoesnotexists/ and see what happens.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings miviks,

I am not trying to be argumentative or say that there is no issue, though I find it bizarre that we would be testing for something that does not exist - but mine is not to reason why :wink:

One thing that does concern me though, the fact is that if you get an internal server error, in this case internal server error 500, and it is not reported in the hosting error logs, how can this not be a server problem or misconfiguration?

Have you any subdirectory installs of WordPress Network running?

Sorry no I do not, all are sub domain installs with dedicated IP's on my own self configured, self owned dedicated servers. However, when I tried the /wp-content/themes/andsomethingthatdoesnotexists/ not only did my server respond with a 404 immediately, the 404 showed up in SEO Ultimate plugin under 404's and in the CPanel error logs.

I think that this is not a server issue, because I have tested this in five different servers and same problem occurs in each and every of them.

Do you mean 5 different servers or five different hosting accounts?

I am trying to get my head wrapped around the big picture here is why I am asking these questions and admit this entire issue is intriguing.

Moreover, if WordPress needs more than 10 internal redirects in order to get 404 page displayed, I think this has something to do with WordPress too.

This is certainly a possibility.

It may be in both of our best interest to install the SEO Ultimate plugin mentioned above so that we can see what its WordPress 404 monitor is telling us is going on there.

Other wise at this point I am at a standstill trying to advise on this issue and due to it is not related to any of our plugin or theme projects I do not have a specific developer to refer to about this issue.

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings miviks,

We have not heard back from you as to the status of this issue.

If you are still having an issue please let us know so that we may try to get you fixed up as soon as possible by choosing to check mark this ticket as unresolved below and posting any new errors or symptoms you are noticing.

This action will also bring your ticket up front back in plain view again within the ticket system.

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev member!

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.