500 Server Error when installing/upgrading Membership plugin

Hi,

I am trying to test out the latest version of the Membership plugin on my development site. I tried the automatic upgrade button but it said it had failed.

So I deleted the old plugin files via FTP and then installed the latest version via the wpmu dev dashboard.

There is now a 500 server error on all of the Membership plugin pages in the wordpress dashboard. The other pages in the wp admin are fine. It's just the plugin pages.

Do you know what could have gone wrong please?

Many Thanks

• aecnu

Greetings frantan,

Sorry to hear that you are having so much trouble setting up the Membership plugin.

Do you know what could have gone wrong please?

I do not have any idea of what may have gone wrong there but do intend to dig in to see what we do have going on there.

So lets start with the hosting.

What type of hosting do you have?

Apache?

What do your hosting error logs indicate for the error 500 internal server error?

Can you please FTP the Membership plugin up to your server.

Did you by any chance test Membership lite on this hosting account?

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• frantan

Hi,

Sorry for the delayed reply.

The site is on a Windows server.

Not sure what this means so sorry if I've posted the wrong thing but here is what comes up in the logs:

2012-07-27 14:32:13 87.106.182.91 GET /wp-admin/admin.php page=membership 80 - 81.171.227.211 Mozilla/4.0+(compatible;+MSIE+8.0;+Windows+NT+6.1;+WOW64;+Trident/4.0;+GTB7.3;+SLCC2;+.NET+CLR+2.0.50727;+.NET+CLR+3.5.30729;+.NET+CLR+3.0.30729;+Media+Center+PC+6.0;+.NET4.0C;+InfoPath.3) 500 0 0 826

I think I may have tested Membership Lite when I was first experimenting with the plugin a year ago, but Ive been using the paid version fine up until now. Its just when I tried to upgrade it as explained above that it went wrong.

The latest version of the plugin is still on the server from when I readded it.

Thanks for your help.

• Timothy Bowers

Hey there.

Those logs are no the right ones, sorry.

I don't use IIS, wamp, or other Windows based systems at the moment so I'm not 100% sure where those logs are. You should be able to check your phpinfo() to see if they are enabled and such.

The best thing though would be to consult with your host and ask them for the actual error_log. This will enable us to better help you with this issue.

Thanks.

• aecnu

Greetings frantan,

Sorry for the delay in a reply.

You got me on this one too since like Timothy I do not use IIS, wamp, or other Windows based systems.

This is going to be a tough one to work out because if memory serves me well Windows based systems choke on permalinks too.

If you have not yet made special considerations about Windows based systems and permalinks that is a good place to start by Googling windows permalinks.

I just spent a good amount of time researching this myself but currently have no way to try any of it.

Please advise if you have made special permalinks consideration for the Windows server.

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu

Greetings frantan,

We have not heard back from you as to the status of this issue.

If you are still having an issue please let us know so that we may try to get you fixed up as soon as possible by choosing to check mark this ticket as unresolved below and posting any new errors or symptoms you are noticing.

This action will also bring your ticket up front back in plain view again within the ticket system.

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev Community Member!

Cheers, Joe

• frantan

Hello,

Have recently come back to this issue and discovered the problem.

I was trying to upgrade the plugin from version 2.0.7 to the latest version.

However I was still using Wordpress version 3.2.1

When I just upgraded Wordpress to the latest version 3.4.2 the latest version of the plugin 3.3 worked fine.

Not sure if its just me who has had this problem for being slack at upgrading Wordpress!

Maybe it would be helpful if you could provide minimum Wordpress version requirements for your plugins so that we are aware that it will not work until Wordpress has been upgraded.

Many Thanks
    Sarah

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.