502 Error Message After Upgrade of Ultimate Branding Plugin

After upgrading the plugin from 1.8 to 1.8.0.1 this weekend several of my WP Engine hosted sites have suffered from a 502 error message when trying to login to the admin area. The login screen appears but after putting in username and password, the site spins for several minutes then gives the 502 error.

After renaming the plugin folder for Ultimate Branding to force deactivation, login works again.

Is there a problem / bug???

• Michelle Shull

Hey there, Greg!

First off, here's where you can find the older versions of Ultimate Branding, just in case you ever need to roll back: https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/ultimate-branding/#changelog

A 502 error is frequently a "bad gateway" which tells us little to nothing. Let's try poking elsewhere to see if we can find a cause.

What are you managing with Ultimate Branding? Which addons do you have active?

If you have the "hide dashboard welcome" feature activated, can you try de-activating it and seeing if the issue persists. I know that sounds a bit odd, but there was a bug a few days ago that this addon was involved in, so it's worth a check.

Thanks, Greg!

• Greg Davis

Hi Michelle and thanks for the quick reply.

I have several client sites (all managed on WP Engine) and this weekend I started updating a few of them for the new release of Ultimate Branding and since the problem happened only on those that I upgraded I was suspicious about the version.

The modules I had active were (going from memory):

* Login Image
    * Custom Admin Bar
    * Custom Login CSS
    * Global Footer Content
    * Network wide text change

I will try rolling back to version 1.8 and making sure that 'Hide Dashboard Welcome' is not active (I can't remember if it was or not).

I'll let you know.

• Greg Davis

Well, I copied my live site to my staging area removed the 1.8.0.1 plugin folder then re-installed the 1.8 version. However, even that causes the time-out 502 error. I renamed the plugin folder again to force deactivation and I could get in just fine. I then deactivated all plugins and then only tried to activate just the Ultimate Branding plugin (1.8) and again time-out and 502. So it doesn't appear to be an issue with plugin conflicts.

I am wondering if maybe the "Hide Dashboard Welcome" may have been active, but I don't have a way to tell on this site now.

I did find another site that I had not yet upgraded, so I copied it to the staging server, verified that "Hide Dashboard Welcome" module was not enabled, did the upgrade to 1.8.0.1 on the staging server and that site seems fine.

I seem to be at a loss how to get Ultimate Branding working again on the other sites as even rolling back doesn't seem to work.

Would you like me to provide login information for you to verify?

• aristath

Hello again @Greg Davis, I hope you're well today!

The Ultimate Branding plugin saves its options on the wp_options table in your database.
    The options it uses are these:
    global_admin_css
    global_login_css
    translation_table
    translation_ops
    site_generator_replacement_link
    site_generator_replacement
    rwp_active_dashboard_widgets
    admin_footer_text
    admin_menu
    global_header_content
    global_footer_content
    admin_help_content
    wdcab
    ub_login_image_url
    ub_login_image_id
    ub_login_image_size
    ub_login_image_width
    ub_login_image_height
    ub_login_image
    ub_login_image_dir
    ub_favicon_dir
    ub_favicon_url
    ub_rwp_all_active_dashboard_widgets
    ultimatebranding_activated_modules
    ub_default_admin_menu
    ub_admin_menu
    global_admin_css
    ub_from_email
    ub_from_name
    admin_email
    blogname
    site_name
    global_login_css
    ub_favicon
    global_footer_main_content
    global_footer_bgcolor
    global_footer_fixedheight

You could backup your db and then simply start deleting these options one by one to see which one causes your issue.

I hope that helps!

Cheers,
    Ari.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.