502 errors on a couple of blog pages

On some of my blog posts, I receive a 502 error. I have a couple of tickets open with a similar issue for a different site, but this particular ticket is for another site:

http://www.search++++++++++fing.com

These are the posts that give the 502 error:

https://www.search++++++++fing.com/blog/10-reasons-to-work-exclusively-with-a-staffing-firm/

also https://www.search+++++++++fing.com/blog/job-interviews-30-seconds-make-break/

That's the only two blogs out of 7 that aren't working https://www.search++++++++fing.com/about-us/blog/

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hi Josh

I hope you're well today!

I was checking the same issue on another site of yours and I found that you also had a ticket about yet another one that my colleague Kris was checking. All these sites are hosted with us and all suffer from similar issue so I'm thinking that there must be something in common that for all of them - something specific that affects this.

I would like to take a closer look at this one but also "revisit" the other two sites (in context of this 502 issue) if you don't mind. Hopefully it would give me some additional clues on what is happening.

That said, could you please enable support access to all these three sites that you reported in this and your other tickets as affected by 502 issue?

To enable support access, please go to the "WPMU DEV -> Support -> Support Access" page in wp-admin of each of these sites and click on "Grant support access" button there then let me know here once it's done.

Best regards,
    Adam

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello Josh

Thank you for enabling access. Could you please keep it open until we done with the case? That'd be helpful :slight_smile:

You mentioned that "the last time the 502 was a hummingbird issue", could you elaborate on this a bit? Did you discover that some changes to HB configuration fixed it there but then the issue "got back"?

Would you tell me also, please, about those permalinks that were not updated? Were there kept as pointing to staging or e.g. replaced with some "placeholder" - did you have to/did you update them e.g. using Better Search Replace plugin or similar tool?

Let me know please as this might actually related and quite important to this case.

Best regards,
    Adam

• Josh
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

You guys fixed the 502 error from one of the other sites. wpmudev did not tell us what the issue was or how they fixed it so perhaps there is logs or notes that will explain...

As per the permalinks issue, everytime we moved staging to live something went wrong with building databases and wpmudev explained to us what we need to do everytime. Again this was a hummingbird issue. Perhaps there are notes on this as well....

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hi Josh

Thanks for response!

I've talked to Kris who worked with you in that other case so I got more information about Hummingbird there. Apparently though the issue is a bit "weird" and not quite simple as it actually should not happen as Hummingbird does't "mess up" with HTTP status codes and/or with page/post "availability", redirects etc. Kris reset Hummingbird settings there and that helped and I got some ideas why this possibly worked but I'd like to do some more testing.

I tried to access the site but it seems support access is not open currently so could you please grant it again for me (just let me know here once it's done)? I'll check the site and do some additional investigation on this (consulting with Hummingbird developer if necessary too) so we could, hopefully, sort that out for good.

Best regards,
    Adam

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hi Josh

Thanks for enabling support access!

I checked all three sites and on all of them I've actually reset Hummingbird completely. A "reset" in this case means returning Hummingbird to default settings as like it was installed for the first time, before even being configured.

This seems to sort the issue - just like it did previously when Kris helped you in that other ticket. I did some "review" of the configuration and I think this is related to how themes (Avada on two sites and Divi) also optimize resources while there was also optimization in Hummingbird. Hummingbird stores some important information about CSS/JS optimization in database as well so if the site was migrated, the theme attempted to optimize resources as well and additionally object cache "kicked in" - it causes a bit of a "mess" in the data served to the end user.

As a result of reset, currently Asset Optimization and Page Caching is disabled on these three sites. It would be good to keep it like this for a couple of days so you could keep an eye on the site to see if the issue happens again. If not, then let me know and I'll get back to the sites and try to re-configure optimization options (in themes and Hummingbird) a bit to enable them back and avoid conflicts.

Best regards,
    Adam

• Josh
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Thanks Adam, it seems at the moment that the 502 errors have been fixed as a result of your efforts. Will these changes affect the site speed? I know that a lot of the hummingbird optimizations had previously helped, so shutting them off is a concern. I am suddenly getting low scores in page speed insights...

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hi Josh

t seems at the moment that the 502 errors have been fixed as a result of your efforts.

Great to hear that, thanks for confirmation!

Will these changes affect the site speed? I know that a lot of the hummingbird optimizations had previously helped, so shutting them off is a concern. I am suddenly getting low scores in page speed insights...

Yes, the performance might be affected so that's why I mentioned previously that if you can confirm that issue is gone, we'll try to configure optimization again afterwards.

However, that's not "as simple as that" and I'd like first to do some small changes in other aspects of configuration - mostly related to some "optimization" aspects for themes. This should not affect how sites work in any way and/or break them but since it has to be done on live site (it doesn't make sense to set it all up on staging and then try to "transfer one to one" - it won't work that way well) I think we should go through this "one by one" and I'll need some help from you.

First, please decide which site I should start with and make sure that you have a full backup of the site (it's our hosting so it should be fine but I need confirmation) and let me know.

I'll then make changes (and describe them to you) and then try to setup Asset Optimization, then I'll ask you to confirm if the site's running fine and if any issues occurred. If it's fine, I'll look if we can apply safely any further optimization options (including Page Caching etc).

Once we got that done, we'll move to the next site.

Best regards,
    Adam

• Josh
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

That sounds excellent, thank you so much Adam. We should start with searchsolutiongroup.com first and then searchsolutionstaffing.com second. And yes since wpmudev is our hosting service backups should be good. Thanks again Adam, let me know if you need anything from me during this process.

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hi Josh

We should start with searchsolutiongroup.com first and then searchsolutionstaffing.com second

All right then, let's do it!

However, and I apologize for yet another delay, I need to ask you again to re-open support access to these sites. LIke I said earlier, it's time-valid and it expires on its own if it's not extended manually. At this moment is inactive and even though site's are hosted with us I don't have any "magic doors" unless you specifically enable access or give me an explicit permission to create myself an admin account on site :slight_smile: I hope that makes sense.

To sum it up: please re-enable support access, let me know once it's done, and I'll start working on the optimization part without further ado :slight_smile:

Best regards,
    Adam

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hi Josh

Thanks, that should suffice, I believe :slight_smile:

I started with searchsolutiongroup.com first. Avada/Fusion Builder optimization options seemed to be disabled already there (I just made sure about that) so I focused on Asset Optimization. It's not yet "everyting" that can be configured there, I believe, but I needed some "safe starting point" for reference to which I can securely get back at any moment.

At this point, there's some optimization done and, in my opinion, results are pretty optimistic. I've turned on PageCache and run some crawler on site to make it generate cache faster so now I"d need you to review the site fully to see if everything's still working. This is important because I don't know the site well and it's too easy for me to overlook/miss some aspect.

Please confirm if everything's working fine (don't pay attention to the performance scores for now, though) or if there are any parts that got broken/started to fail so I could take care of them.

After that I'll access the site again and do final adjustments to "squeeze" as much optimization from it as possible and I'll ask you for yet another check.

If after that everything's fine, we'll repeat this entire procedure with next site.

Best regards,
    Adam

• Josh
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Kasia - please let Adam address this issue as he is more familiar with the case.
    all three websites are running about 30% slower than they were 2 weeks ago, this was after the support team adjusted settings to test an issue with a 502 response code. I really need help with this, WPMUDEV went dark for a week and I am being very patient

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello Josh

Thanks for re-granting access and I'm sorry that I didn't get back and respond to you earlier. I got sick and was off work for a few days, it's my first day back today but I'm "back on track" now so I'll be able to respond faster now. I apologize for the delay!

As for the site. I checked it and noticed that apparently all the optimization configuration there were... disabled. Did you try to make any changes on "Hummingbird -> Asset Optimization" meanwhile or are you aware of any staff agent making changes there (I know you were attending some chats meanwhile)?

I've configured Asset Optimization again and the site seems to be loading way faster now. I browsed around a bit and it looks to load fine but it'd be great if you could, please, review it again to double-check if I didn't miss any issue. If you notice any part being "broken" or malfunctioning - let me know about it, please.

There's also currently not many pages cached as I had to clear the cache while doing changes in Asset Optimization so it has to rebuild itself - if your site's getting significant traffic that shouldn't take long though.

You also wrote that you "upgraded our CDN" - what do you mean by that? Also, you mentioned 502 issues again, does it mean they got back after we solve them previously?

Let me know please.

Kind regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.