504 Error

Hello! For a while now I've been struggling with the dreaded 504 error. Today it has been so bad, I can't even access my site. I have contacted my hosting company and they blame the issue on WordPress not being optimized enough. I've done all I can to optimize it and the issue is still persisting. Any ideas what may be causing this? Thank you!

Note: This is mostly on my superartisthq.com site that I've currently allowed access to, though I'm not sure if anyone can even access the site right now.

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Jennifer,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

I can see that you're using recent WordPress release with thirty one active plugins. That's not too many plugins but it may actually cause some server overloads.

Is there any chance that you could remove some of the plugins that you're using currently? This would lower resource consumption a bit. I accessed your site and I can see that you did you best to optimize your WordPress install so apart from decreasing the number of plugins used (the "P3 Profiler" plugin will show you which ones are the most "resource hungry") and possibly switching to a custom build theme that wouldn't use Visual Builder I could only suggest following solutions:

1) Get in touch with your host and ask them if they could try to optimize/increase server resources; I'm afraid though that's now out of the question as they already told you that they won't do anyting about it.

2) Instead of using your current theme customized with Visual Builder, create a child theme of your current theme that would include all the necessary custom templates (to be used instead of Visual Builder-created layouts); this would be a "low level" solution that should decrease server usage

3) Try removing some plugins and if necessary and possible replacing their features with custom coded shortcodes/functions/mu-plugins.

4) Install our Hummingbird plugin to implement gzip compression, browser caching and minification for your site; this will require some experiments with configuration but after the setup is done it should lower the need for server resources as well

5) Install caching plugin such as e.g. W3 Total Cache or WP Supercache. This will also decrease server load; please make sure though that features such as minification, gzip compression and browser caching for this plugins are disabled if Hummingbird is active

6) You may want to try to implement CDN for your site (.e.g CloudFlare); that's yet another way to speed up the site and decrease server usage a bit.

If all this doesn't solve the issue, the only thing that's left is to move to other host, I think.

If you have any further questions on this, let me know please and I'll be happy to answer.

Best regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.