504, GATEWAY TIME-OUT error on Google Drive backup

There is a 504 GATEWAY TIME-OUT error on Google Drive backup. I increased max execution to 600 but the problem still exists'. Regular snapshot works.

• Predrag Dubajic

Hey Sufiyan,

Hope you're doing well :slight_smile:

I had a look at your site and the issue doesn't seem to be related to GDrive, your snapshots are not even able to finish and this is not due to destination setup.
    Backup is performed on your site and after it finishes creating the backup .zip file it sends it to selected destination.

I've pinpointed the issue to /uploads/2014/03/ and /uploads/2014/09/ folders as when I excluded those two from backup it was able to finish it up properly.

I did added some code in wp-config.php to change archiving method and reduce number of files handled in one go and that help with backing up /uploads/2014/03/ folder but it still fails at /uploads/2014/09/ folder :slight_frown:

Could you get in touch with your hosting provider and ask them to check server logs so we can see if we can get some more info about what exactly happens?

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Sufiyan

Hi,

Thank you for your quick reply. I had mentioned it in my interactions that I face the similar problem across all my sites and it is not GDrive related. And for this reason, I am still dependent on Xcloner which works flawlessly on all my sites on HostGator and Bluehost.

Please find below the link to server logs.

http://support-tools.com/?315e574309089f83#bJs76G0lHp4fVO8ADGMPRrWxoGdDz8+xivUnw6hYKKE

Thanks and Regards,
    Sufiyan

• Dimitris

Hello Sufiyan,

hope you're doing good today and don't mind me chim in here! :slight_smile:

I've also activated WP_DEBUG but I wasn't able to get any other relevant info and the error log you've shared with us seems that contains only some notices, which by default shouldn't cause any procedures to halt.
    I've already escalated this to our Second Level Support team for further investigation. Please keep in mind that they, just like us, are working from oldest to newest threads, so your patience here is highly appreciated!
    As the internal report to SLS team is connected with this forum thread, me or another colleague of mine will keep you posted here as soon as we've got some valuable insights!

Warm regards,
    Dimitris

• Lindeni Mahlalela

Hello Suyifan,

I hope you are doing great today. Thank you so much for your patience while we were working on this. I have good news for you regarding this issue. :slight_smile:

I have analyzed your website and found out that your website was timing out due to execution timeout issues as you were already advised to increase the max_execution_time. I have added a few lines in your wp-config.php file as follows:

To raise max_execution time on the website.
    @ini_set('max_execution_time', 600);

To ignore any symbolic links that may cause infinite scanning of folders.
    define('SNAPSHOT_IGNORE_SYMLINKS',true);

To raise WordPress admin memory limit.
    define('WP_MAX_MEMORY_LIMIT', '256M');

After adding these lines I am able to complete a backup. I tried several times creating Snapshots, I was able to successfully create several local snapshots, then finally I tested by running the one that should upload to Google Drive, you can see it in the screenshot below (I renamed it because I had many test snapshots so I can know which is which):

Would you please try again and see if it works, please let us know how it goes and please let us know if you have any further concerns, questions or feedback, we are always here for you.

Have a nice day.
    Mahlamusa

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.