8 Multisites - 267,000 users - wp_usermeta 747mb & 9 million rows!

Hi WPMU Devs,

Ok so i have somehow got an insanely huge wp_usermeta table that is slowing the site down and causing it to run out of memory with login.php.

I imported users from joomla, so im not sure if thats what caused it but it seems like each user has loads of rows each. I am also using Multisite user management to make sure users are added to each subsite.

Please check the screenshot, is this normal? what can i do to have less rows?

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Amit,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

I'd like to know a bit more about the issue so could you please elaborate a bit regarding the questions below:

1. How may users should there be actually? 267 000?
    2. How did you import them from Joomla: what tool(s) did you use and what was the process "step-by-step"?
    3. I understand that the site was previously powered by Joomla: how did it perform, was there any similar troubles?

Please advise, it would be of great help if you could answer this questions with as many details as possible.

Cheers,
    Adam

• Amit

Hi Adam,

Thanks for the quick response, yeah there are actually around 276,000 users (20-30% could be spammers from the joomla install).

The migration was done by a developer i hired as i wasn't confident in doing this at my level. There are a few plugins and methods he used but i'm not sure on the exact process taken.

Before the import i created my admin account and the 8 subsites as well as installed the plugin 'multisite user management'. It seems strange that there are so many rows per user i think this is due to setting permissions for the subsites. Do you know if this is normal behaviour? judging from my screenshot.

Happy to provide any login details - and allow support access.
    vgmods.net

Thanks,
    Amit

• Adam Czajczyk

Hey Amit,

I hope you're having a great day and thank you for answering my questions!

I moved some sites from Joomla to WordPress but never experienced such problems. However, those sites haven't had that many users. That being said, I'd like to take a closer look at this, if I may. Could you please grant me a support access? To do so, go to your dashboard's

"WPMU DEV" -> "Support" page -> "Support" tab

and click on "Grant access". Please take a full backup of your site first! I know it might be quite a time-consuming task in this case but I'd rather not change any settings without knowing that your site's data is fully secured!

Cheers,
    Adam

• Amit

Hi Adam,

Thanks for getting back to me, but it took so long for you to come back i had to setup a job listing on WPMU! Luckily two people helped without asking for anything in return :slight_smile: I increased my memory limit from 1GB to 2GB (its extremely high for a wordpress site..) and then setup a cron job which solved the meta issues. So far so good no more errors.

I was wondering if you could look into site speed which is still an issue, I have a decent VPS with 3.75gb of ram and 2gb allocated to the multisite with 8 subsites. There aren't too many plugins either - I am not sure but i think that the login check is taking long with domain mapping, or it could be the large database.

I have allowed support access to the site - i can't backup the database as its so large it just crashes halfway through. But you can go ahead with anything you feel can help.
    I believe that the wp_usermeta table is actually meant to have 9 million rows as each user is assigned a row for each site they signed up to.

So i don't really know what i am asking for but i just kinda need a site 'check' from an expert to see where any slowdowns are occurring, and if there is any optimising i can do. Also will the Multi-DB help me with speed? (i only plan on ever having around 20 sites max)

Thanks Adam

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Amit,

I hope you're well today and I'm sorry for the delay on my side!

I've subscribed to this thread and setup a special flag on my e-mail account so I won't miss any posts again!

As for the speed issue, if you'd like me to take a look at it, could you please send some information directly to me?

Send in:

Subject: "Attn: Adam Czajczyk"
    -WordPress admin username
    -WordPress admin password
    -login url
    -FTP credentials (host/username/password)
    -link back to this thread for reference
    -any other relevant urls

Select "I have a different question" for your topic - this and the subject line ensure that it gets assigned to me.

https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/

I apologize for the delay once again!

Have a great day!
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.