800 plus member directory & MailChimp or Mandrill?

A local business organization would like us to upgrade their website to WordPress which won't be a problem.
They want a searchable "Member Directory" whereby the members will be uploaded via csv file on a monthly basis. We can do this with Connections Pro plugin but...
We also need this list of members on an email list so when blog posts are made, emails are sent.
I don't want to manage this via another import say to MailChimp but an email solution via Mandrill may work if the email list is managed locally???
Do we just import the users as WP users and use a directory plugin and email plugin which uses Mandrill?
I'm trying to find a WPMU way to do this but cannot seem to put it together in my mind.
Any thoughts / ideas would be appreciated.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings bobrandklev,

Thank you for this great question and a significant items to bring up.

I don't want to manage this via another import say to MailChimp but an email solution via Mandrill may work if the email list is managed locally???

I know nothing about Mandrill at all. There are lots of solutions for automatically emailing posts to users: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/search.php?q=email+posts&sort=

Do we just import the users as WP users and use a directory plugin and email plugin which uses Mandrill?

I would do just that with the users i.e. Import them, but concerning the other two portions it is a subjective question and I have no definitive answer.

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev Community Member!

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.