A basic foundation (theme) for creative freedom

Hi guys and gals, Mike suggested i submit this to the 24/7 premium support area

First question i have is kinda in multiple parts...

1.) The theme i'm using (onetone by MageeWP) is nice and all but it has a major flaw that i can't seem to get around... any image i place seems to have not only a white background, but also a white border. I need to eliminate both so the transparent areas on my pngs show whats underneath. Is it better to attack this themes css (wherever it is) OR just rebuild with a new theme. I like building things not working around other people's structures and limitations. And while i feel super confident in doing this from raw HTML, wordpress seems to take that confidence away from me in everything from creating Divs to locating the CSS id or class which relates to its html ....

2.) I really like multiple layer parallax and want to master this so i can make images or backgrounds scroll at different speeds for different effects especially when combined with images that have transparent areas... I bought a plugin called DEX Multilayer Parallax that i was hoping would solve this need but it has so many glitches and doesn't seem to work as it should, or maybe i'm just expecting too much from a 20 dollar plugin... i dunno but i'm getting frustrated and really need to get this hammered out and would appreciate whatever guidance or tutorials/advice you can give...

3.) I really need a basic theme that has almost ZERO formatting. It must be fullwidth screen capable and shouldn't constrain images unless i specify this in-line or through CSS. I like the X theme with its page builder but it seems to always have issues loading when i need to make edits to the layout. Something with fluid response and total pixel positioned control would be amazing!

I hate throwing laundry lists, but this seems to be what you guys are experts at!

• Nithin

Hey Chris,

Hope you are doing good today.

Is it better to attack this themes css (wherever it is) OR just rebuild with a new theme. I like building things not working around other people's structures and limitations. And while i feel super confident in doing this from raw HTML, wordpress seems to take that confidence away from me in everything from creating Divs to locating the CSS id or class which relates to its html ....

It's subjective, and entirely depends upon what type of changes you are making. If your changes only consist of small CSS changes, there isn't any need to re-build a new theme for it, adding the CSS into the themes Custom CSS box(if the theme provides one), would be more than enough, or using a plugin like Simple Custom CSS to a add custom CSS.

WordPress already has a solution when it comes to customizing a theme, and ie called Child Theme. You can create a child theme which will inherit all the properties, and functionality of your onetone theme. With Child theme, you can make changes to CSS, re-build the structure of the theme in any way you want without even editing, or changing any files of onetone theme.

With advance coding skills, you can even create a entire new theme from it's parent theme. More information of Child theme, please check the following link:
    https://codex.wordpress.org/Child_Themes

2.) I really like multiple layer parallax and want to master this so i can make images or backgrounds scroll at different speeds for different effects especially when combined with images that have transparent areas... I bought a plugin called DEX Multilayer Parallax that i was hoping would solve this need but it has so many glitches and doesn't seem to work as it should, or maybe i'm just expecting too much from a 20 dollar plugin... i dunno but i'm getting frustrated and really need to get this hammered out and would appreciate whatever guidance or tutorials/advice you can give...

This seems to be a premium plugin, and hence I don't have any access to it to test, nor able to check how it's coded, or functions. I did give a quick search, but I'm afraid I wasn't able to find any documentation, you might find the following videos helpful:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57C-2Tr2Lnk&list=UUHXcJTE_KHcXPAmjSd5S9BA&index=2

Other than that, would recommend you to get in touch with your plugins developer to get this sorted faster.

3.) I really need a basic theme that has almost ZERO formatting. It must be fullwidth screen capable and shouldn't constrain images unless i specify this in-line or through CSS. I like the X theme with its page builder but it seems to always have issues loading when i need to make edits to the layout. Something with fluid response and total pixel positioned control would be amazing!

If you are looking to create a theme from scratch, would recommend you to check Upfront Builder, it's a plugin which allows users to develop themes from scratch, and that too visually.
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/upfront-builder/

Please check the following links for more information on how to use it:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/upfront-builder/#product-usage
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/docs/upfront-and-themes/using-the-upfront-builder/

I hope this helps. Please advise, if I had missed anything. Have a nice weekend.

Kind Regards,
    Nithin