A bit help needed with setting up Multi-DB

Hello everyone

Finally I decided to use your Multi-DB plugin. I'm not a pro but I did my best to understand the whole procedure.

Can you, please, review my description and tell me if I did something stupid before I run this on live site? I'm afraid to break my site so I thought I'll ask here first...

I decided to go with 16 databases option.
I'm on HSphere server if this matters.
First of all I created 18 databases.
Interesting thing here is that HSphere creates database names using account username, and it won't allow a second underscore in database names. So I ended up with the following databases:

user_wpmu0
user_wpmu1
user_wpmuf
user_wpmuglobal
user_wpmuvip1

Now I started configuring move-blogs.php

//DB Settings
$dbname = "user_wpmu"; - my old WPMU database name here, right?
$blog_table_prefix = 'wp_'; - I don't change anything here, right?
$newdb_prefix = 'user_'; - I'm stuck here. Based upon the list of DBs above, can you tell me if I should type in 'user_' or something else?

//We need info to connect to the databases
$dbhost = 'localhost'; - my database server, I can also type 127.0.0.1 right?
$dbuname = ''; - username of old DB or of new DBs I have created?
$dbpass = ''; - same question as above: pass to old DB or to new DBs?

After this I switch to db-config.php

Here is what I typed in.

add_dc_ip('127.0.0.1', 'dc1'); - I guess it's correct

add_global_table('user_wpmuglobal'); - is this correct?

add_db_server('global', 'dc1', 1, 1,'127.0.0.1','127.0.0.1', 'wpmuglobal', 'user', 'pass'); - I use users and passes of new DBs here and below

add_db_server('0', 'dc1', 1, 1,'127.0.0.1','127.0.0.1', 'wpmu0', 'user', 'pass');
add_db_server('1', 'dc1', 1, 1,'127.0.0.1','127.0.0.1', 'wpmu1', 'user', 'pass');
add_db_server('f', 'dc1', 1, 1,'127.0.0.1','127.0.0.1', 'wpmuf', 'user', 'pass');

add_db_server('vip1', 'dc1', 1, 1,'127.0.0.1','127.0.0.1', 'wpmuvip1', 'user', 'pass');

Main question about above settings. Should there be 'wpmu0 ... wpmuf' or 'user_wpmu0 ... user_wpmuf' used?

That's it. I don't want to move main blog into separate DB so I guess I may exclude everything with wpmuvip1. Or should I leave it?

Now my understanding is that I upload db.php and db-config.php files into /wp-content/, move-blogs.php into /wp-content/scripts/ and run http://mysite.com/wp-content/scripts/move-blogs.php from my browser.

Is this all or have I missed something?

Let me know, please

Andrew

I'm stuck here. Based upon the list of DBs above, can you tell me if I should type in 'user_' or something else?

It would be: user_wpmu

my database server, I can also type 127.0.0.1 right?

I'd leave it as localhost. Although the 127.0.0.1 should do just fine.

username of old DB or of new DBs I have created?

New databases

same question as above: pass to old DB or to new DBs?

New databases

add_dc_ip('127.0.0.1', 'dc1'); - I guess it's correct

This needs to be your actual server IP. Ask your host if you don't know it. Let's say it's 99.99.99.99, you would configure it like:
    add_dc_ip('99.99.99.', 'dc1');

add_global_table('user_wpmuglobal'); - is this correct?

That section is for global plugin tables. For example, if you're using the Post Indexer plugin:
    add_global_table('site_posts');

Should there be 'wpmu0 ... wpmuf' or 'user_wpmu0 ... user_wpmuf' used?

Yep, you need to use the full db name.

I don't want to move main blog into separate DB so I guess I may exclude everything with wpmuvip1. Or should I leave it?

Comment out the VIP lines.

Is this all or have I missed something?

I think you've covered all of the areas where people get stuck.

Thanks,
    Andrew

idealizer

Thank you very much Andrew.

Two more questions - maybe silly ones - but I'm not sure about them.

1. How do I get the list of global tables?

I suppose I should go into PHPMyAdmin and see what tables do not have wp_x_ prefix and these will be global and I should include them all. Am I right?

What about databases with wp_ prefix? Like wp_blogs and so on. Are they global?

2. In my case how many databases in total do I need?

Before I have counted 16 user_wpmu0 ... user_wpmuf plus user_wpmuglobal and user_wpmuvip1 - so 18 in total.

But if I'm not moving main blog to separate DB I don't need user_wpmuvip1
    And based on your comment above I don't need user_wpmuglobal

So looks like I only need 16 user_wpmu0 ... user_wpmuf and I remove lines:

add_db_server('global', 'dc1', 1, 1,'127.0.0.1','127.0.0.1', 'wpmuglobal', 'user', 'pass');
    add_db_server('vip1', 'dc1', 1, 1,'127.0.0.1','127.0.0.1', 'wpmuvip1', 'user', 'pass');

Is this correct?

Thank you for your support! You are great.

Andrew

Hiya,

1. How do I get the list of global tables?

I suppose I should go into PHPMyAdmin and see what tables do not have wp_x_ prefix and these will be global and I should include them all. Am I right?

All of our plugins should come with an sql.txt. Just grab the table names from there. Also:

1) Always remove the prefix "wp_"
    2) Do not list default wpmu global tables (wp_blogs, wp_users, etc)

2. In my case how many databases in total do I need?

Before I have counted 16 user_wpmu0 ... user_wpmuf plus user_wpmuglobal and user_wpmuvip1 - so 18 in total.

But if I'm not moving main blog to separate DB I don't need user_wpmuvip1

Correct, you won't need the vip table.

And based on your comment above I don't need user_wpmuglobal

You need the global db. That's where your global tables go.

Thanks,
    Andrew

idealizer

Good, looks like I'm understanding it!

All of our plugins should come with an sql.txt. Just grab the table names from there.

Yeah, got it.
    I also meant global tables that can come from other - not your premium - plugins.

Very good, so wp_x_ tables are never global, WPMU's standard (default) tables (like wp_users) are not taken into consideration and if some plugin adds a table like wp_something I list something as a global table.

Thank you Andrew.