A couple of questions about Studio Child CSS

Hi,

I understood I've to work on CSS to custom theme appearance. I just wonder:

- where's exact location for child.css ? mine is /wp-content/themes/studio-child/_inc/css/child.css

- why can't I make this file writable by WP editor ? (I checked many CHMOD combinations on my FTP, no success = "You need to make this file writable before you can save your changes. blabla" ).

- if I want to change pages' background pictures I've to find correct CSS line with Firebug then modify it directly ?

Cheers,
Yann

• aecnu

Greetings Yann,

Thank you for this great question.

- where's exact location for child.css ? mine is /wp-content/themes/studio-child/_inc/css/child.css

You certainly have the correct path and congratulations on successfully having the child theme uploaded correctly as indicated by the path you provided above.

- why can't I make this file writable by WP editor ? (I checked many CHMOD combinations on my FTP, no success = "You need to make this file writable before you can save your changes. blabla" ).

I just tried this on my test production site using FTP and had no trouble at all to permission the file 666 to be able to be written to. Screen shot below.

- if I want to change pages' background pictures I've to find correct CSS line with Firebug then modify it directly ?

Personally if I wanted to do this I would take the regular css file from the parent theme and copy it to the child themes css folder and rename it child.css and avoid having to do all that digging with firebug.

Please advise that you are indeed able to permission the file as you desire and if my copying the parent css file to your child theme css file have indeed gotten these issues resolved for you.

Cheers, Joe

• Shakelturn

Hi Joe,

OK perfect and bravo for the quick answer. We managed to update .css permission and to edit a copy of parent's one in WP appereance editor. Now we are ready to sculp this template. Here we go.

The first thing we want to do is to change home background picture to integrate our custom background one:

body.home-page #site-wrapper-home { background:transparent !important; }
    div#homepage { background-image:url("http://your-site.com/path-to-your-image.png"); }

- Could we add this code everywhere on CSS ?

- What code should we use if we want to change ANY page's background ? (Sorry we're just starting webmastering)

- Do you have specific recommandations to use background pictures ? (size, etc..).

Many thanks !

Cheers,
    Yann

• aecnu

Greetings Yann,

- Could we add this code everywhere on CSS ?

If you can determine the div I believe so. div#homepage

- What code should we use if we want to change ANY page's background ? (Sorry we're just starting webmastering)

It should be{ background-image:url("http://your-site.com/path-to-your-image.png"); }

- Do you have specific recommandations to use background pictures ?

In reality it is my thought to use none unless the site is not serious because fancy backgrounds tend to distract the user from the main content of the site.

You do not want them remembering the site for its background that is for sure. Or at least I would hope not :slight_smile:

Take mental note of any sites that you know of that are even half serious or semi business and they have no background picture at all for the most part.

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev Member!

Cheers, Joe

• Shakelturn

Hi Joe,

I fully understand you, however, please note that we want to provide an unique experience to our customers, including esthetic considerations. We do not want to add a background with flashy and intrusive colors, we just want to integrate a clear & clean picture like these:

http://www.djtechtools.com

DJTT is our reference and get some high trafic on quality content, even if they use a simple background picture...

So, please could you tell me what the size specifications to integrate our background to Studio theme ? Or perhaps this theme is not what we need for our business...

Thank's!

Cheers,
    Yann

• aecnu

Greetings Yann,

Thank you for the additional feedback, it is certainly helpful while trying to envision what you are trying to accomplish and to assist in doing so :slight_smile:

Regarding the background picture, please understand that this is too hard to make a call for you under any circumstances because too many variables exist which are indeed dependent upon the graphic itself and resolution of the viewers PC.

For example if your graphic is a plain color faded or not faded, size is irrelevant and the graphic will be repeated, of course in this case you would want to make the graphic small for quick load time.

If it is a logo graphic then how will it look at different resolutions when all over the site.

Or perhaps a graphic with a horizontal line at the bottom making it to fit my resolution of 1920X1080, then folks with a less resolution will possibly have a scroll bar to deal with depending how you code in the graphic.

So as you can clearly see, there is no hard answer to this question and is too subjective to offer any real solid answer.

The real answer is based upon too many possibilities, variables, and subjectiveness.

Hot pink anyone? There are people out there that love it.

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.