A couple of things w/ Directory Plugin

First off, this plugin is exactly what my non-profit organization needs as a tool for its arts information service! So with much excitement, research, reading, downloading, installing, re-installing, here are the obstacles I'm hitting:

- Roles: Paid and Unpaid Roles are never created, they don't show in the capabilities setting, nor in the main users section.
-Signups: User get assigned to the role "None" and can do nothing until I manually change that as an admin
-Featured Image: in the Front UI, after following this thread: https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/problem-setting-featured-images I get an WYSIWYG editor activated (which wasnt there before.. but thats nice!) but the upload pop-up doesn't provide a "set as featured image" link.. there's only the "Insert into post"

Wishlist or how do I do these things:
- I only have/need one category.. is it possible that all listings be assigned automatically to that one and only category?
- front page: I want to see all listings straight up, instead of categories.

There are, surely, other things I'll hit down the road.. but these are imperative.

Glad to provide any back end info if need be.

Edit: using a standard clean install of WP 3.4.1 (no MU)

• aecnu

Greetings residencyunlimited,

Thank you for these great questions and significant items to bring up.

- Roles: Paid and Unpaid Roles are never created, they don't show in the capabilities setting, nor in the main users section.

Absolutely there are roles created as shown in my first screen shot below, Directory Member Paid and Directory Member Not Paid.

-Signups: User get assigned to the role "None" and can do nothing until I manually change that as an admin

I just tested this to be certain and my test signup automatically and clearly indicates a Directory Member Paid role assignment.

-Featured Image: in the Front UI, after following this thread:

Featured image indeed shows in the WYSIWYG editor on the right column and the pop up downloader shows featured image as shown in the screen shot below.

There are too many issues here and something bizarre is really going on there because I do not get any of these issues, not one can I confirm..

What kind of hosting do you use? Windows?

Did Custom Press install?

Are you permalinks set to anything else but default?

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• residencyunlimited

Hi Joe,

thanks for the quick reply. i don't see screengrabs you mentioned. but here are some of mine..

- 1st - only getting standard roles (no Paid or Free roles available) in the Capabilities Settings page. I've set the payment to Free, and never touched the other payment (month/yearly stuff) page in that section

- 2nd - New signups set to None in Roles - anything a new user tries to do is denied with a no permission page, or just reloads whatever page one is on. I have to manualy change to Contributor for the user to be able to do anything.

-3rd - no featured image link in the upload popup (front UI).. hitting the insert to post, the image does goes to the post section.. but no featured image is assigned. I get this on both clicking the featured image link (below title field) and the upload media button above the post field. I've tested on 2 machines using Chrome, Firefox, and Opera and get the same result.

Are you not getting any issues on any of these things with this url?:
    http://residencyunlimited.org/opps/

hosting is hostgator.com and cpanel says: Operating System - Linux CentOS

custom press is there and I've added one custom field, which will definitely be part of my next inquiry :slight_smile: .. but have not touched anything else

permalinks are set to /%postname%/

thnx,
    RU

• aecnu

Greetings RU,

Thank you for your additional input, screen shots, and bringing it to my attention that I messed up my screen shot attachment, it is certainly appreciated.

I have them included now and you can test mine at http://directory.aecnuwpmu.us/

I set the signup to allow for free posting on this test site.

When visiting your site it is obvious this is not an out of the box site and that custom coding/plugins have been applied.

In addition, you will see that i did sign up for your site and nothing functions as I would expect except the signup itself.

I did receive the confirmation email.

Now it is time to go into full blown trouble shooting mode because it appears there may be some conflict here and one way to find out conclusively.

Standard plugin trouble shooting protocol - first to switch to the Twenty Eleven theme just long enough to check for the problem - if the problem still exists next involves deactivating all plugins except the plugin in question and then see if the issue still exists.

If it does not, then you want to activate plugins one at a time testing in between to see if the issue returns. Even when you find one plugin, it may be in your interest to deactivate the problem plugin and continue testing the rest of the plugins to insure no others are also conflicting.

You will know the conflict when the issue returns and which plugin(s) you activated that cause the issue.

Please advise if there are any plugin conflicts and if so what the plugins are that are conflicting.

Cheers, Joe

• residencyunlimited

Hi Joe,

I got the featured image to work in the front UI last night from another location, and it magically worked back in the office this morning.. I have no idea why.

Then, taking into account you noted that my wp install is not a clean slate one.. i see you may have seen our mother site residencyunlimited.org :slight_smile:

but I'm currently working on residencyunlimited.org/opps/

That being said.. the "opps" install was made through my hosting quick install wp package, which came with a bunch of prepacked stuff .. as such, I deleted everything (wp, mysql) and made a clean, manual install with a brand new mysql.

The featured image function is no longer working, again.. and I still have the same issues with no roles being assigned to new users, and no directory related roles of Paid / Non Paid being available in the Directory settings section

-I'm using the Directory theme (provided from the plugin folder)
    -I have set permalinks to /%postname%/ (because the Sign Up and Sign Out buttons do not work otherwise)
    -the only plugin active is Directory

please advise, and thank you so much for your time & patience!

RU

• aecnu

Greetings RU,

The screen shot I provided came from my installation and the way it is supposed to be in which I have no idea why your is not ... at least not yet.

How did yo do your reinstall this time? Using FTP or did you try from the hosting cpanel again?

And you are using a sub folder for the WordPress installation?

Why not invest about $15 into a domain name and a hosting account saving yourself lots of grief? Or possibly if you are allowed add on domains then just a domain name and add it in?

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• residencyunlimited

How did yo do your reinstall this time? Using FTP or did you try from the hosting cpanel again?

Installed via FTP, generated a separate mySQL db and fed the info into the one time wp install process. Everything works perfect, and the same problems replicate once I activate the directory plugin

And you are using a sub folder for the WordPress installation?

yes, its a sub folder called "opps"

Why not invest about $15 into a domain name and a hosting account saving yourself lots of grief? Or possibly if you are allowed add on domains then just a domain name and add it in?

The site in question needs to remain within the main domain, but as a separate install since I need to have users input info by themselves and our core site serves another purpose which we don't want (for the sake of logistics) to be mixed together.

It's also a branding issue.. we have a big following, and I don't want to confuse the public with a new domain.

We are also a non-profit and even if $15 is not much, we do have pretty severe budget restrictions.. Signing up to wpmudev is a major expense for us. It came with a clear expectation that we would have a working product (albeit with some tweaking and work on our side) yet with no further expenses. Otherwise, I would have gladly hired someone to build the thing from the ground up.

can you explain why this would be a factor? I don't see any documentation implying the plugin works best in a root folder situation. or that one should not use this in a sub-folder setup.

• aecnu

Greetings RU,

Thank you for the additional input, it is greatly appreciated.

can you explain why this would be a factor? I don't see any documentation implying the plugin works best in a root folder situation. or that one should not use this in a sub-folder setup.

Well you are bringing a problem to me like many others on an issue that I cannot replicate on my test productions servers and now it is my job to dig in trying to find any possible reason why you are having the issue you reported.

I love when I can replicate an issue because the cure follows quickly and be able to work with it direct on known stable servers and OS.

Not relative to your scenario, but many folks here try doing things on internal networks, MAMP, WAMP, and all kinds of crazy stuff escaping a real server and wondering why it they are having massive problems.

What about creating a real sub domain and installing it in there?

directory.residencyunlimited.org

These are just suggestions but good ones at that in an attempt to get your site working - just trying to help.

If you do set it up as a sub domain let me know and I will install WordPress and set up the Directory plugin for you folks no charge.

However, since it seems that I cannot help you myself and that I cannot replicate any of your symptoms, I will see if I can get the lead developer in here with his invaluable insight into this plugin for his advice/advise for us.

Though this may take a bit longer then a normal ticket, I will try to get him in here asap.

Cheers, Joe

• residencyunlimited

What about creating a real sub domain and installing it in there?

directory.residencyunlimited.org

I'll go ahead and set this up.. see how things go.. will get back to this ticket with results. shortly. But its getting late here on the east coast, so its going to be tomorrow.

Thanks for that advice.

I know you guys are busy, so I want to be as efficient as possible.. working off our live server is crucial, obviously.

In the meantime, if you need any particular info from me (versions, server OSes, etc.) please let me know.

Thanks again

• Arnold

ONe problem you have is some random widgets in the Advertising widget area. That makes the text overlay the top right header.Just remove hte widgets. That area was meant for an ad banner.

The roles are greated in the activate event. Unfortunately Wordpress sometimes fails to fire it. I would try turning off all the other plugins and activate the Directory as the only plugin and see where your at. Til those roles are created you can't attach anything to them.

If that doesn't work you try direct. You'll need to add this bit of code to your theme functions.php

function make_roles(){
    global $Directory_Core;
      $Directory_Core->create_default_directory_roles();
    }

add_action('init', 'make_roles');

Should just need to run it once and then remove.

• residencyunlimited

Hi Arnold,

i've done the following:

-re-install clean slate wordpress to opps.residencyunlimited.org (per Joe's suggestion)
    -only have Directory plugin activated (deleted all other plugins, this was always the case btw)
    -run directory theme
    -set permalinks to default (although the signin/out/up buttons don't work in the nav area) the menu I created (up top) does for said default permalinks.
    -moved widgets
    -activated/deactivated plugin to see if roles a generated
    -added your code to functions.php of the directory theme

all to no avail.

I still have no directory related roles, no roles whatsoever are assigned when I sign up as a new user.

the only thing that works is modding page-update-listing.php to get the featured image to work in front ui, (which I have to do every time)

• residencyunlimited

Thanks Arnold!

Looks like signing up sets roles accordingly, and thats perfect.

A new user is allowed to add a listing

but I tried to upload both featured image or media in the content area.. I get a "Cheatin’ uh?" page and when I'm logged in as an admin, I get the pop up in the front ui but no link to set the featured image. like before.

posting works and editing a published post works also. Though there is no category set. Can the category be ignored overall? We plan on it being solely one type of listing.

I'm sure you're in heavy demand, but can you shed some light on how you fixed this? Also, is there more in depth documentation on customizing the front ui?

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.