A few questions about Classifieds

Hi,

I have a view (support) questions about the classifieds plugin which I've installed on a local wordpress install so I can't sent a link, but added screenshots.

1.) It seems like I can't translate the section "All Classified Categories", "Classified Tags" and their descriptions. There is nothing wrong with the .po or .mo files because all other translations worked like a charm. The mentioned strings do appear in the .po file, but it's just that the translation doesn't replace the original string. It's also not the case that the entered translation is "Fuzzy" in Poedit. Can you please help me with this? See screenshot 1

2.) Please take a look at screenshot 2. Does this way of viewing look the way it should? Because I think it looks a bit unnecessary to show the featured image two times. I'd rather hide the big obnoxious first image. It also flows over the sidebar so this should'nt be the case I guess. Can you help me how to do this?

3.) I removed (stupid me) the "Expires" custom field from the CustomPress Settings. Now it the field keeps showing up in the classiefied as "no expire date selected". How can I restore this field again?

4.) I also added some more custom fields from CustomPress. It looks like in screenshot 3. Can you also style this box? And where should I do this?

Also Say if I just want to swap the "Expires on field" in the listing view (see screenshot 4) with for example my new created custom field, where / how should I do this?

I realy realy hope you guys can help me out. Your help is realy apreciated.

Thanks!

Kind regards,

Steven

• Patrick
    • Support Monkey

Hi @wijngaardewd

1. Odd, they do look to be properly internationalized in the plugin files (to my less-than-ideal-coders-eyes anyway). I'll need to get the developer's input here.

2. That could be either the way your theme is outputting the featured image, or have you perhaps included the image in the post content? Either way, you could try switching to a different theme to see if the second image disappears, which would indicate your theme is somehow pushing it out as a featured image and a thumbnail. If that is the case, you could easily set a CSS rule in your style-sheet to hide that thumbnail image. Which theme are you using on that site? I could try to get you the exact CSS to use.

3. Create a new custom field with settings as shown in the screenshot below and you should be fixed up. :slight_smile:

4. You can add custom styling in your theme's style-sheet, or use the Custom CSS module in the Jetpack plugin, or another plugin altogether like My Custom CSS.

The custom fields you create are injected into the template depending on where the cf-custom-block call appears. By default it displays beneath all the other fields. Swapping the default fields like "Expires on" with your custom ones would require modifications to the plugin files.

• wijngaardeWD
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Hi Patrick,

Thanks for your super fast repsons!

1.) I figuered most of it out my self. You shouldn't translate this within the Po file (which is a bit confusing since the strings do appear in the .Po files. You can translate this by going to CustomPress>>Content Types>>Taxonomies and from here edit the classifieds_tags and classifieds_categories settings.

The only string I can't translate still is "add a tag" So if the developer could fill me in about this, that would be apreciated.

2.) Thanks! I added a CSS rule as you sugested and this worked. I'm using the Cinematix Buddypress theme from Themeforrest by the way.

3.) Unfortunatly this didn't work. I did exactly what you said but it just added a new Custom field. In other words the data that was filled in here doesn't get in the Expires field. Please see screenshot A.

So if you have another idea on how to do this it would be apreciated!

4.) Thanks! If I can get the "duration" custom field up and running again, I will leave it as it is.

Thanks Again!

Looking forward to your respons.

Kindest regards,

Steven

• wijngaardeWD

Hi Patrick,

I figuered out how to get the “duration” field back in a proper way. I installed the plugin somewhere else, then exported the field and then imported it in the proper WordPress install.

So that worked out. But now another issue occurred with this field:

A) If I for example select a duration of one week (from today) It would show “expires on 14-10-13”. Which is great. But when I want to edit the classified again, it will show the “duration” field empty. So I have to select a duration of 1 week again. But now it just adds 1 week counting from 14-10-13. So this seems like a big bug.

Can you please tell me what to do about this?

B) Also I’d like to translate this field and the values (1 week, 2 weeks etc.) also. But the only way to do this is by changing the name of the custom field. But then unfortunatly the field stops functioning again.

I’m afraid I will have to edit the files op the plugin for this (I’m not a fan of this). If this is realy necessary can you please tell me which files I need to edit?

The only “open issue” besides this is stil:

The only string I can’t translate still is “add a tag” So if the developer could fill me in about this, that would be apreciated.

Thank you for your help.

Kind regards,

Steven

• wijngaardeWD

And one final request about the plugin, :slight_smile: can you explain to me where I should configure how to “save an ad” because I don’t see this option both on the front-end as in the Admin area. Please let me know.

Thanks!

• Patrick
    • Support Monkey

@wijngaardewd

The issue with the duration not being properly saved when editing an ad is a confirmed bug. I tested on a fresh install of WordPress and Classifieds.

Simply editing a classified adds whatever duration is set to the “Expires on” date. For example, editing an ad with a duration of 1 week advances the date an additional week. Oops.

There does appear to be a check for that though in page-update-classified.php on line 232.

As for the issue with translating the duration field, that also appears to be set in the plugin. See core.php at line 229.

I’ll flag the developer on these issues.

• Arnold
    • El Macho WP

On 3. If you deactivate and reactivate the plugin it will recreate any default fields missing.

A. That’s why there is a blank choice Classified often get renewed. Part of renewing is adding further duration. The duration field is empty on an edit because there is already a duration on it. Most people editing just breeze past any fields they aren’t editing so the default is blank so time isn’t added every time they edit. So when you saved it with another week selected it added the time. If you left it blank it wouldn’t

B. Unfortunately the Week is used as part of the program. You have to some how tell what “1 Week” means. This is built in to PHP

http://www.php.net/manual/en/datetime.formats.relative.php

So the words have to match what the program understands.

The add a tag seems to be in the classifieds/ui-front/js/jquery.tagsinput.js and classifieds/ui-front/js/jquery.tagsinput.min.js javascript files. It’s the placeholder in an empty tag field.

• wijngaardeWD

HI Arnold and Patrick,

B. Unfortunately the Week is used as part of the program. You have to some how tell what “1 Week” means. This is built in to PHP

http://www.php.net/manual/en/datetime.formats.relative.php

So the words have to match what the program understands.

Since the website I’m working on is in Dutch, this is no option. I already know how to remove the “duration” field from the back-end part :slight_smile:

How can I remove the Expired box on the front-end?

Thanks for your reply.

Kindest regards,

Steven

• Patrick
    • Support Monkey

@wijngaardewd

Hiding table rows on the front-end can be done with CSS, but it’s a bit tricky when they are nested together as they are in Classifieds.

The custom-fields table is nested inside the ad-info container where the “Expires on” row is located. Also, those table rows have no IDs or classes we can target. So, to hide “Expires on”, we need to specify that table row by using a little counting trick: nth-child.

The first part of our CSS will hide the 4th tr in the cf-ad-info container. But then we need to re-declare the display property for the 4th tr in the cf-custom-block container so it doesn’t disappear too.

.cf-ad-info tr:nth-child(4) {
    display:none;
    }
    .cf-ad-info .cf-custom-block tr:nth-child(4) {
    display:table-row;
    }

Please let me know if that works for you.

:slight_smile:

• wijngaardeWD

Hi Patrick,

Thanks for your sugestion,

It worked. And as a tip for other future users with the same issue. The mentioned code by Patrick works for the classified view itself. But if you also want to hide expired from the overwiew of all classifieds, also add this code:

.cf-info tr:nth-child(4) {display:none;}
    .cf-info .cf-custom-block tr:nth-child(4) {display:table-row;}

Kind regards,

Steven

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.