A few questions about this plugin

Hey! You guys are awesome! I just hooked up the Protected Content plugin, and i had a few questions.

1. With stripe integration, do I need to create a payment plan on stripe for a monthly charge, or will the plugin just charge them each month and thats it?

2. Is there a way I can add a top menu with "login" or "register" when it is a visitor and that take them to the register page, and when they are logged in, replace that with account?

3. When I go to thetransformapp.com/register it isn't allowing me to register.

4. The MailChimp API key i created and copied and pasted isn't working, and I'm not sure why.

I also was wondering if the is the correct plugin for what I am doing, or if "membership" would be better? We are doing a blog/podcast with daily sermons, and visitors can see up to a certain point, and members have full access. I wasnt sure what the difference between the two was. Thanks so much!

Tyler Postle

Hey Kevin,

Hope you're doing well today and welcome to the WPMU DEV Community!

1. With stripe integration, do I need to create a payment plan on stripe for a monthly charge, or will the plugin just charge them each month and thats it?

Yup, that's it

2. Is there a way I can add a top menu with "login" or "register" when it is a visitor and that take them to the register page, and when they are logged in, replace that with account?

You could do this a couple ways, with a custom function or with some CSS

Is it an actual WordPress menu you are using or a custom menu?

You can these styles to the menu you want when logged in:

/* view when logged in only */

.logged-in #menu-id-55 {
    display: block;
    }

#menu-id-55 {
    display: none;
    }

/* view when logged out only */

.logged-in #menu-id-58 {
    display: none;
    }

You would need to use your own menu ID's of course then place that into a custom stylesheet like the one this plugin provides: https://wordpress.org/plugins/simple-custom-css/

3. When I go to thetransformapp.com/register it isn't allowing me to register.

It looks like it's not actually executing the shortcodes. Can you try temporarily swapping to the default 2014 theme and see if it works then? I'm thinking this could be a theme conflict.

If it still doesn't work then can you grant support access so we can take a closer look?

You can grant support access via admin dashboard - WPMU DEV > Support > Support Access > Grant Access.

4. The MailChimp API key i created and copied and pasted isn't working, and I'm not sure why.

Is it giving you an error at all? I know I just mentioned it above but do you mind granting support access

I also was wondering if the is the correct plugin for what I am doing, or if "membership" would be better? We are doing a blog/podcast with daily sermons, and visitors can see up to a certain point, and members have full access. I wasnt sure what the difference between the two was.

You can do this with either Membership or Protected Content. Protected Content is one of our latest plugins and has our new UI/UX design plus it's almost completely re-coded when compared to Membership. Membership isn't being removed or anything, but expect more updates/features to be added to Protected Content

Also, in your situation I think you will want to go with Protected Content as Membership doesn't support stripe payments at this time.

Hope this helps Kevin! Let us know if you have any further questions.

All the best,
    Tyler