A few questions regarding Multi DB plugin

I am trying to install the Multi DB and I have it installed (I think) but need to clarify a few details. I attached a screen shot of my wp-contents folder so that someone can verify that the structure is correct?
Also...I have the plugin setup for '256' and also added the 'global' db as well, which now makes 258 db's (default wp db included).
After I set up Multi DB and ran the move-blog.php file the only db I see that was affected was the new 'global'...it now has the same table structure as the default WP db and all the other db's are empty. Is this right?
File Structure

• Michael Bissett

Hey @david_labbe, hope you're doing well today. :slight_smile:

As far as the file structure's concerned, everything looks good there.

Also...I have the plugin setup for '256' and also added the 'global' db as well, which now makes 258 db's (default wp db included).

All good here as well. :slight_smile:

After I set up Multi DB and ran the move-blog.php file the only db I see that was affected was the new 'global'...it now has the same table structure as the default WP db and all the other db's are empty. Is this right?

Yes, that's right. Multi-DB doesn't add content to every database, a site doesn't get it's own database (unless it's a VIP database), which is why you're seeing databases with no content.

Hope that helps!

Regards,
    Michael

• David Labbe

Thanks for your help...the above was run on a test site and now I am going to install it on a live site. So I thought I would snap a screen shot before I move any further just to ensure that I am going about this right. I don't want to mess with the live site more than need be.

1. Can you verify that this looks in order before I move to the next step? (screen shot in link below). I only have the main blog from a fresh install so I assume that is why is says 'global' in the table info column?

2. How then are the other tables used exactly within this setup?

3. Will I need to add global tables to the db-config.php file when I install plugins that have tables?

https://www.sugarsync.com/pf/D450304_1958127_0211124
    Thanks again.

• Michael Bissett

Hey @david_labbe,

1. Everything looks like it's supposed to, nothing to worry about here. :slight_smile:

2. The way that Multi-DB works is that it splits the data generated by sites on your network across multiple databases, as more sites are added to your network.

To give you a metaphor, it's like having multiple grain bins available to be filled up with grain as it comes in, instead of just one bin to stuff ALL of the grain in (a messy proposition if there's a lot of grain!).

3. You shouldn't need to, you should only have to add the tables that Step #3 of our usage docs specifies:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/multi-db/#usage

Just make sure you remove the example tables in that file. :slight_smile:

Hope that helps!

Regards,
    Michael

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.