a first page

Hello Support,

My client would like an initial first page that the user will see when coming to the website. This first page is not the home page and it is only viewed upon entry to the site. It is a women’s crisis center, and the first page will tell the user about the method to escape the this website in case someone is looking over her shoulder at what she is viewing online. (The escape method is just a red link at the top of every page on the website that will take them to google.) Is there a plugin that will create a first page?

Thanks,

Carol

• marikamitsos
    • The Crimson Coder

Hello carol23 and welcome back to the Forums,

I think I know the right thing for you.

Please try the Pop Up plugin as a solution? You can customize it to a great extend and even decide who and when someone gets to view it. You can also have multiple pop overs with different rules. To top it all up it is very user-friendly. :slight_smile:

You could use it as a reminder of the escape route.

I think it would fit your needs.

Please let us know how you do. We are here to help. :slight_smile:

marikamitsos

• Arun Basil Lal
    • New Recruit

Hey Carol,

I once had to do this for a client and if Pop-up plugin or any other pop-over methods isn’t something you are looking for, and if you are ready to get your hands dirty, I got exactly what you need :slight_smile:

Step 1: Fiddling with index.php

On some themes this would be home.php, but if there is index.php in the theme folder that should be first choice. If there is index.php open it up, if not, go for home.php

Paste the following to the starting of index.php, before everything else, on Line 1

<?php if( (strpos($_SERVER['HTTP_REFERER'], get_bloginfo('home')) === false) && !$_SERVER['QUERY_STRING']) : ?>
    <?php include ('http://yourdomain.com/wp-content/themes/yourtheme/page-splash.php'); ?>
    <?php else : ?>

You will have to replace http://yourdomain.com/wp-content/themes/yourtheme/ with the direct link to your theme folder. We will be creating page-splash.php in the next step.

Now add the following to the end of index.php (the last line on the file):

<?php endif; ?>

What this actually does is, call the page-splash.php if the user is not entering your site through your site. i.e. the splash page will be used when user comes from another site or types in the url, but not when the user hits the Home button.

Step 2: Actually creating the page

copy your page.php in your themes folder and name the copy page-splash.php and place it in the same folder

Now page.php is a page template, not a real page. And that won’t work for us. So you have to hard-code the contents of the page in there. The best way to do this would be to look at the source code of a page on your site and duplicate in there.

I did that for the twenty ten theme and the sample is attached here. Hope that helps.

So there you go. Let me know how that goes. Good luck with it. If you need help, let me know!

• marikamitsos
    • The Crimson Coder

would it always work even if the user didn’t allow popups in their browser?

This may sound as a vague answer but…

I have found there are limitations and advantages to every solution. We just have to make the right decisions on which one to use.

Having said that I found that the Pop Up provided here can overcome many situations.

marikamitsos

PS: Please feel free to mark the post as resolved, should you find the above mentioned solutions satisfactory.

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hi Carol,

I would suggest you to go by the method provided by Arun as The plugin suggested by Marikamitsos is amazing however a few limitations might stop this plugin from working.. i.e. pop up blocker..

However, I did some research for you and reached the below link which you might find useful

http://codex.wordpress.org/Creating_a_Static_Front_Page

There is another link which you might find useful

http://wordpress.org/support/topic/how-do-i-create-a-splash-page

Please let us know if you are still unable to fix this, I would do some more research for you and get a solution.

Cheers !

Pranaya

• Arun Basil Lal
    • New Recruit

Hey Carol,

like others suggested, pop-ups can be blocked by browsers, but otherwise our pop-up plugin works on all of them.

If you think of it, pop-up isn’t exactly a welcome page. It loads after the page is ready, so its basically, well, something that pops up :stuck_out_tongue: (ooh, now we know how it got its name, I feel stupid. lol)

Its your call now :slight_smile:

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.