A Forum site without a... Forum?

OK. You guys are going to get sick of me and all my questions. Sorry about that. Here goes another...

One thing I'm totally flummoxed by as I learn Buddypress/bbpress/WPMU plugins (etc.) all at once (talk about drinking from the firehouse!) is why this super-hot, really-cool, totally badass forum software... has no freakin' forum?!?!?

I'm having a real problem getting my head around this, and I freely admit I'm probably missing something here. But as in the famous "Where's the beef?" commercials... Where's the Forum?

Now I know there's a forum, so I'm being a bit hyperbolic. But what I don't get, and what this is all about, is why THE FORUM isn't front and center, as in every other forum I've ever seen or forum software available today? I mean, as far as I can tell, because of the "url.com/forums/forum/whatever," you can't even *have* a Forum tab/page, per se.

Specifically, you can't go direct to the Forum with one click. You've either got to know the URL, or go first to Groups or Topics to get to the freakin' forum. Say what?!?!? Talk about convoluted! Isn't Wordpress supposed to represent the *simple, logical* solution over other platforms?

Why can't I have THE FORUM as a tab/page, and even have it showing - as in every other piece of forum software - front and center for all to see?

Or am I totally missing something here? Help!

What I've done so far with my first WPMU Forum/Membership site is here, if you want to take a look: http://ufoextraterrestrialforum.com

NOTE: as a noob to this sort of WP site, I also found the "Groups Forums" vs. Site Wide Forum stuff very complicated and confusing, but I realize that's not WPMUs fault, either.

• Timothy Bowers

OK. You guys are going to get sick of me and all my questions. Sorry about that. Here goes another...

Keep em coming, it keeps us busy. :slight_smile:

I'm having a real problem getting my head around this, and I freely admit I'm probably missing something here. But as in the famous "Where's the beef?" commercials... Where's the Forum?

Famous? Share a youtube video link? :slight_smile:

I'm in the UK btw. :slight_smile:

Specifically, you can't go direct to the Forum with one click. You've either got to know the URL, or go first to Groups or Topics to get to the freakin' forum. Say what?!?!? Talk about convoluted! Isn't Wordpress supposed to represent the *simple, logical* solution over other platforms?

From your other thread you're using the BP Social theme?

If so then in the other thread I mentioned about Custom Menus, if you follow the same thing you can add a direct link to the forums as you please.

And if you want to use shortcodes to display them on the front page:

http://codex.bbpress.org/shortcodes/

Hope this helps.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Take care.

• karl_s

Timothy, you rock! Thank you.

So, you don't get the "Where's the Beef?" reference. Ha! You probably would if you were American, though I doubt anybody under 30 would, anyway. So either way, you might not have gotten it even if you were a Yank. And in any event, I'm dating myself. Boy do I feel old...

"Where's the Beef?" was a famous ad campaign that became a cultural reference point over here. Here's a link to (I believe) the first commercials: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EEqgXc88EA Not only did the campaign "go viral" long before the Internet or Facebook, it put the big, national hamburger chains on notice that there was a new player in the game. Since that time, the company behind the campaign has, in fact, become a national player. It's since become my favorite fast food outlet, not that I frequent those too often anymore.

To the real matter at hand. Yes, the question was in reference to Social. As a result of your response, I'll be setting up custom menus. Hopefully I *can* have both a reduced number of tabs *and* actual Forum tab! What a concept.

:wink:

It's great to know you good folks at WPMU are available. Having learned how to setup and use WP on my own several years back, I can say it would have been really nice to have some helpful experts on hand back then!

:smiley:

• Timothy Bowers

:slight_smile:

I've been to Wendys :slight_smile:

Might be in the states next year again, so I'll have to try it again. lol

It's great to know you good folks at WPMU are available. Having learned how to setup and use WP on my own several years back, I can say it would have been really nice to have some helpful experts on hand back then!

Thanks for the kind comments. :slight_smile:

If you have further questions you know where we are :slight_smile: (Btw I tend to over use smillies sometimes :wink: )

Take care.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.