A loading problem with site

I am running a wordpress multisite with buddypress and recently we have been getting these loading problems of the side where the top bar, the sidebar and the footer doesn't load. After a refresh of the site however they do load without a problem. This also doesn't happen on every site load but quite frequently. Is there anyway to debug somehow to find what on the site that is causing this problem?

• Dukeswe

Hi, The site in question is: http://www.kostdemokrati.se/
    And no, Wordpress and buddypress is not the latest but quite close. I think wordpress is 3.1.3 and Buddypress 1.2.8. Feeling abit reluctant to upgrading due to not gonna be able to upgrade the theme incase of possible instabilities or that the plugins on the site doesn't work with the newer version.
    And everything has worked fine.

Until we recently started noticing this problem. I haven't really added or changed much on the site except moving widgets around and such.
    Don't think I have any caching plugins. But not sure exacly what counts as a caching plugin.

And our server provider doesn't seem to have any error logs in their control panel. They don't use the CP's you described in your tutorial.

I am at a loss what we have done to cause this problem that isn't even consistent.

Hope you can help even though I did not have that much info to give :slight_smile:

• Mason

Hiya Robert,

Ok, I wasn't able to find anything by looking at the source code. You should be able to contact your hosting provider and enable error logging for your site (they can and should set this up and provide you with instructions for viewing it).

I checked in Firefox, Chrome, and Safari and went to various links on the site and refreshed the homepage but the sidebars/header/footer always displayed.

A caching plugin would be one dedicated to caching such as wp-super-cache w3-total-cache or another similar plugin.

Intermittent issues such as this are the most difficult to sort. It's too bad about the theme issues and not being able to update. BuddyPress 1.5 is about to be released with some radical changes (for the better).

Let me know if you're able to get the error logs from your host provider.

• Dukeswe

Hi, after some testing it seems to happen only or alot more frequently if you are logged in as a member. If so then it is good that people only visiting don't get these problems :slight_smile:

And by your definition I do not have any caching plugin active on the site.

If you want I could set you up with an account (would need your email) or you can create one yourself on our site if you understand swedish good enough :wink:

I will also give our server provider a call to see if they have any error logs for viewing. But they seem to lack alot of features so I'm not too hopeful.

• Mason

Hiya Robert,

I took a look at the site, plugins, themes, caching, etc. I can't find any reason for this to be happening. I did actually see it happen (sidebar didn't load on homepage - but did on refresh) in Chrome.

I noticed that an update has been released for this theme to go along with WordPress 3.2+ and BuddyPress 1.2.9.

I'd recommend updating WordPress to 3.2.1, then BuddyPress to at least 1.2.9 (1.2.10 preferably) and then updating the theme to 1.0.6.

This way, you can also update some of your plugins - though you can't yet go to BuddyPress 1.5 it seems.

There is currently a javascript error your site, and the 1.0.6 theme update is specifically to address js issues, so there's some hope there. My hunch is it's either an intermittent js issue or php. If it's PHP then we really do need those error logs made available.

Let us know what you find. My advice is to update things (in the order I mentioned - and do all 3: wordpress/buddypress/theme or things will break badly) and then see where we're at.

• Dukeswe

Hello again Mason,
    I spent several hours again yesterday trying to find what the problem was and at 01.30 in the night I found it! :O

The cause of the problem was something I didn't suspect.
    For some reason having alot of RSS widgets causes the site to not load properly.
    So upon removal of the wordpress feed widgets the sidebar/adminbar and footer loads without a problem.

Really wierd :S but atleast the site works properly now and will instead have to use regular links to their sites :slight_smile:

Thanks for your help in trying to solve this issue.