A problem with the WP for android instructions

Hi,
I'm following the guide and I'm stuck.
I made it till page 21. Before that, on page 19, I had an issue - eclipse did the "search and replace" for me after I changed the folder name... I hope it's OK.
Ok, so I got to page 21, and now when I try to run the program, it says:
"Your project contains error(s). Please fix them before running your application".
I see around 928 errors in the messages panel...
Can you please shed some light over this?
Thanks,
Yonatan

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there @Yonatan Kra and @pbrink

Hope your both well today and thanks for your question.

I'm one of the App guys here and I'd love to get this resolved :slight_smile:

Can you provide a screenshot of your errors please? From the top please, as the top errors are going to be the important ones, the ones below, would be fixed when they top ones are (if it's what I believe it is) :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• pbrink
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Hi Jack,

I ended yesterday fixing the build errors by doing an search on:
    import org.edublog.android;
    and replace it with
    import org.MYCOOLAPP.android

After this I can compile and launch the application but it will crash in the emulator. Hope this helps.

Again this has no priority for me now. I have bigger WP challenges/issues right now :slight_smile:. But if @Yonatan can't provide you with more info I'm happy to help.

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there Yonatan and @pbrink

Thanks for the additional information,

Yonatan, there's a few possibilities here, the naming structure must stay the same, i.e, org.yourname.android etc, I'm not sure, but it looks like you may have changed that to be / instead of dots?

If not, the other issues are resolvable by running the find and replace, can you run that again please? Make sure the search is for the old folder name structure, please advise :slight_smile:

@pbrink, as you got to the part where you run the app and it crashes, can you enable log cat messages and let me know what it says (this is enabled, when you launch the AVD). Possibly a RAM issue on the AVD.

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack.
    @pbrink

• Yonatan Kra

Hi,
    thanks.
    The search finds nothing when I search org.edublogs.android.
    It does find something when I search org.myapp.android (it finds around 273 results actually).
    I checked - no "." was replaced with "/" as far as I could see. Moreover, as I said, Eclipse did the change for me automatically once I changed the folder name from org.edublogs.android to org.myapp.android.
    So none of the suggestions work for me. Any other ideas?

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there @Yonatan Kra

Thanks for sending across the App, looks like there was a few resolvable issues, but a couple of errors are to do with the action bar sherlock, which somehow looks like it was corrupted on download with missing variables.

I see you haven't changed the images, have you changed anything else apart from the name?

If not, let me know and I'll get a fresh one setup and send you through a complete working one :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• Yonatan Kra

Hi,
    I changed only the name and some URLs in the wordpress settings, but that's pretty easy to do anyway.
    I didn't change much because I just wanted to see how it works, and then start making changes and learning the method you are using here - so yea, the images are the same cause it's the easy part :slight_smile:
    Cheers,
    Yonatan

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.