A Section to add short tutorials with videos

Hi,

I would like to have a section where I can add short videos to explain something to other users. I'm thinking in short tutorials of up to 3 minutes.

This can be a special section where any member can upload their videos to explain things about how they improved their websites (increase conversions, added a plugin, made an experiment).

OR

Another option is the possibility to embed a video in a normal support box, so adding the possibility to explain something using an uploaded video (uploaded on youtube).

• Milan

Hello Camilo,

I hope you are having a good day and thanks for expressing your thoughts. I don't see any advantages in supporting this feature. Perhaps you can explain. ? Dear Camilo, here our user dashboard panel is specially designed to support member's different need in context to site where they are using our products. Its kind of full synchronization we wants to develop between user's site and his/her dashboard here. So I don't think this could be good point. Again its my view on this. And there is whole community our their who can have better thoughts than me. :slight_smile: So let's here what they have to say on this. And if plenty of member supports this our developer may think about adding this in future. :slight_smile:

Thanks for being with us.
    Best Regards,
    Milan

• Camilo

Hi Milan,

Ok, let me explain:

Maybe option 1 is not that interesting and won't get votes. There's a lot of commitment to make a 3 minutes video tutorial, and probably not many users will do them.

But option 2 is very simple to implement:

As a user, I would like to have the option to create a small video explaining how to do something I'm trying to explain, or at least an option to embed a video in my answer and explain it (like using a screencast explaining how to do it).

Right now I only can add images or documents but not embed videos directly. I know you can add the link to the video if you have it, but it is not the same than giving the option to play the video directly.

I know you need additional hosting if you want to upload videos, that's why I'm just suggesting to add the option to embed videos from other sources (like YouTube).

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Camilo!

Currently we (both members and staff) are not able to embed videos here indeed. We're attaching video links sometimes to explain/show something in our responses so I can fully understand your point and personally I sympathize. I'm not that convinced about "upload" feature: it would mean a lot of additional storage space and servers resources and as we're not a "video hosting company" this could affect our primary activities.

However, the idea of embedding externally hosted videos sounds really great and I think it would make a great feature. As this is already posted in our "Features and Feedback" forum, let's hope that other members of our community will support that idea. I will also raise that via our internal channels, putting it under management consideration.

Have a nice day!
    Adam

• Adam Czajczyk

Hey Camilo!

Actually, you don't need to vote as you created the thread :slight_smile: Now it's up to other members of our WPMU DEV community to express their support. This can be for example a post support the idea or just a simple "+1" posted as a replay to this thread (that's the most common way).

Just to let you know: I've already passed that to our marketing guys. What will happen next, that depends on whatever they decide so I'm not able to promise anything but I can tell that's under consideration.

Cheers,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.