A theme with portfolio template *and* IE8 support?

I know IE8 is real pain to work with, but the company I am putting together an intranet/Knowledge base for uses it exclusively.

I need a theme that has a template built in for pages to display a portfolio or blog summary by Category, and I need it to be a pretty clean theme with IE8 support (Left Hand Side Bar would be nice too). I have looked at a bunch of themes but keep getting turnaround in circles. I was wondering if anyone had some advice. Thanks in advance

• Tyler Postle

Hey Mike,

Hope you're doing well today and welcome to the WPMU DEV community :slight_smile:

To be honest, I think this might be more of a try them out and see sort of situation. As you mentioned, IE8 is a bit of a pain and over 5 years old now.

I did find this list here: http://themeforest.net/attributes/compatible_browsers/ie8

They do have to list the compatibility there; however, I'm not sure how thoroughly it gets tested or if it's just up to the authors discretion whether it's compatible or not.

You can always try out our themes as well :slight_smile: https://premium.wpmudev.org/projects/category/themes/

Here is also a list of some portfolio themes that you can test out: https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/free-responsive-wordpress-portfolio-themes/

Hope this helps Mike!

Let us know if you still need any further assistance here :slight_smile:

Cheers,
    Tyler

• DavidM

Hi @Mike,

We got your email regarding this and I just wanted to check with you. Were you looking specifically for one of our themes that could handle blog summaries by category?

If so, practically all our themes can handle that as WordPress itself is designed to handle those types of blog concerns.

Could I ask though, is there a specific sort of design you're looking for?

I realize you mentioned a portfolio, and there really are many ways that could be done.

We'd love to assist with more specifics on this though if you'll just let us know more of what you have in mind.

How does that sound?

Cheers,
    David

• Mike

Thank you for the posts. It is hard to get support for something you are new to, as the terminology creates barriers.

After my post I learned about archives and categories, and that feature of Wordpress will work for me. I based my question off of my experience with a theme (voyage by xin). It allowed what I wanted to do, but wasn't the right theme for me.

I'm not building any sort of portfolio, so those types of themes don't apply. I'm building a knowledge base and found a theme from an outside source that works flawlessly with IE8.

I have learned that the vast majority of themes that claim to be IE8 compatible are not or are not 100%.

• DavidM

Hey there Mike,

Thanks for your reply and I'm really glad you were able to find a theme you're happy with. We're more than happy to take a look with you on any IE8 issues you might experience using our themes. Some of them have been around since IE8's release so compatibility with that was assumed from the start. But should you encounter any issues at all with them, we're here to ensure they're sorted.

Moreover, we're more than happy to assist with any IE issues you face within WordPress, not just from our own themes.

Just let us know if there's any way we can assist. We're here to help! :slight_smile:

Cheers,
    David

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.