A wrinkle re: increment/decrement

So I'm getting close to having the site fully built out, and some days had passed since I'd fiddled with the site's settings (took a couple days off for the holidays).

On returning to it, I decided I needed a new site category. Added it without difficulty.

Created a new site using the new category. No increment in the new category.

Created a new site using a previously existing category. Increment successful.

Deleted test site. Decrement successful.

Created test site using existing category = increment successful.

Change category of test site from one (old) category to another (old) category. Decrement/increment successful.

Change category of test site to newly created category = no increment (tho the count DID decrement from the category no longer in use).

Deactivated/reactivated plugin = no change...new category is not recognized.

Ideas? :slight_smile:

-=Vel=-

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

Not sure I follow on the first two test scenarios.

Created a new site using the new category. No increment in the new category.

So your steps are:
    1. In wp-admin on the Primary site Site Categories > Site Categories listing create some new site category.
    2. Go to the front-end and add a new site. Assign new site to new (empty) site category.

Created a new site using a previously existing category. Increment successful.

How is this different than the previous step? Creating the site categories has nothing to do with creating the blog or assigning it to the site category wether new or existing.

• christopher_d__hartpence
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Hey Paul, and good afternoon! I'll do my best to not muddy the waters further! :slight_smile:

In my two test scenarios, the first thing I wanted to establish was that my existing categories (the ones created before the holidays) were all still incrementing properly. So I created a test site using a category that had been in place since before Christmas....that one incremented and decremented properly.

Then I created a brand new category (as you outlined). Created a test site and assigned it to the new category...that's when the incrementation failed.

I am using quick cache...cleared the cache and tried again, but got the same result. Will turn it off entire and try again!

Okay...just back from disabling the caching plugin altogether. Cleared cache, disabled entire (prolly didn't need to clear cache given the disable step, but...just to cover all bases), then went into settings and edited the new category and re-saved to see if it would give me a fresh count. No increment. Most curious!

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

When you are checking the category counts are you viewing this on the front-end landing page or the wp-admin category listing?

I just went through the scenario testing on a basic 3.5 Multisite install running default TwentyTwelve theme.

1. (wp-admin) Primary blog. Created a site category.
    2. (front-end) Created a new blog. Assign blog to two site categories: 1 - new category from previous step, 1 - existing category
    3. (wp-admin) New blog Dashboard. Double check assigned Site Categories are correct. Yes
    4. (wp-admin) Primary blog. Verify counts on Site Category listing match addition of two (one for each assigned category).
    5. (front-end) Primary blog. Verify landing page category counts match counts shown on site category listing.

All these steps works are expected for me. Again there is really no difference between creating a new site category just prior to creating a new blog vs. using an older existing site category. Since the category is not created at the time the blog is created.

And I'm not saying you have not found an issue. Just trying to understand the steps so I can reproduce under my own environment.

Hey sir! For the counts, I am relying on the widget on the main page (http://playtheplanet.org), right hand side bar, top most widget. (just confirmed that the count remains the same tho, by a quick check of the admin panel side)

I would not have thought that there would be a difference between creating a new site category vs. an older one...that's why I was so surprised when it didn't increment! I can tweak my free account on the site to enable blog creation if you wanna see it in the exact environment I'm looking in...am playing with the membership plugin right now! :slight_smile:

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

@christopher_d__hartpence, Ah well that widget code is cached using the internal WP caching. So this is somewhat delated. That is why I was asking about checking the counts on the wp-admin Site Category listing first.

Sure I'll Always take access to a site so I don't need to reproduce the environment on my own end. Send account info to paul [at] incsub.com

Just tried viewing the site. Was redirected to http://playtheplanet.org/home/register-2 then http://playtheplanet.org/home/register-2-2 then back to http://playtheplanet.org/home/register-2 and back and back. Eventually error on too many redirects.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.