A/B Testing stopped working

I currently have the A/B Theme testing activated on a large number of my clients sites. They are all running the exact same installation, same themes, same plugins, same everything. I'm using this one as an example. Seems all tracking for the split of the themes in the Custom Variables section of the reporting has stopped ever since the 19th of October. I have no clue why especially since everything has been running smoothly. But this is an issue on all my clients sites. Could someone check on this for me to see what the issue could be? Thank you!

• Rupok
    • Support Ninja

Hi kstudiofx,

I'm so sorry to hear the inconvenience you are having. However, I'll try to regenerate this on my test site and if I can regenerate, I'll report this to our developer.

In the meantime, can you please make sure that nothing changed on your Google Analytics account on 19th October? I mean, was there any policy change notice from google, or dashboard change or any other event that could result in this? Can you please also confirm if Google Analytics is tracking your site properly? I mean it's showing proper data of visitors and other default statistics?

Please send us as much details as possible. As the functionality of this plugin depends on both your site and your Google Analytics account, it's pretty tough to find out what's causing this by just checking your site config. However, let me confirm if this is a plugin issue or not. I'll update you as soon as I get the result of my test on my test site.

Have a nice day. Cheers!
    Rupok

• kstudiofx
      • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Yes that seems to be it. I searched through my history and saw that the google analytics plugin was updated on that date that it stopped split tracking and it upgraded to the universal analytics code. Is there any way possible that the a/b theme testing can be updated to handle universal analytics? This has been in place for awhile and would like to continue to use this plugin without having to revert back. And even if I revert back, I'm not sure if it will still continue working.

• kstudiofx

What I remember seeing back in June when I first had this issue was that I was using the universal tracking code and you guys mentioned that a/b testing only works with the classic code, so I was using a plugin that used the classic code. From what I see in the source code was that i am pulling universal tracking again. Is it true that your plugin still only works for classic analytics? Universal analytics has been in place for a couple years already and would think that you guys work with that, am I wrong?

• kstudiofx

Here's the analytics code:

<script>
    (function(i,s,o,g,r,a,m){i['GoogleAnalyticsObject']=r;i[r]=i[r]||function(){
    (i[r].q=i[r].q||[]).push(arguments)},i[r].l=1*new Date();a=s.createElement(o),
    m=s.getElementsByTagName(o)[0];a.async=1;a.src=g;m.parentNode.insertBefore(a,m)
    })(window,document,'script','https://www.google-analytics.com/analytics.js','ga');

ga('create', 'UA-84368359-1', 'auto');
    ga('send', 'pageview');
    </script>

• Rupok
    • Support Ninja

Hi kstudiofx,

I'm so sorry for the delay from our end. Actually, we try to reply to older threads first, but every time someone replies to a thread, it becomes a fresh one and goes down in the queue. I can see that you have made a couple of replies and that's why this delay occurred.

However, I set up analytics on my site, but I missed to copy proper analytics code on my site, so I was getting wrong data. However, I've already set up analytics and A/B Testing properly and I'll start getting data withing 24 hours. So I'll update you as soon as I see the result on my site. If I can regenerate the same issue on my site, I'll report to our developer right away.

But if I find that this issue is your site specific, then I'll investigate on your site and will try to resolve the issue as soon as possible.

I'm sorry again for the delay and I really appreciate your patience.

Have a nice day. Cheers!
    Rupok

• kstudiofx

The issue is that the a/b plugin doesn't work with universal google analytics code which has been in place for years. I'm wondering if there's an update for this plugin that could come up soon that will fix it so it works for universal analytics code

• Rupok
    • Support Ninja

Hi kstudiofx,

I'm sorry, maybe I could not convey my message properly, let me try again.

In this plugin settings page, it's written:

A/B Theme Testing is compatible with both the older and newer asynchronous tracking code

That means it should work with both previous classic code and new universal code. As you said it's not working with Universal code, I'm testing that. And if I can confirm the issue with universal code, I'll report this to our developer.

Please let us know if you have any further confusion. We will be glad to help.

Have a nice day. Cheers!
    Rupok

• kstudiofx

I understand that, but it never has worked for me with "universal" tracking code, asynchronous is not the same thing. I've already mentioned it before back in June or July of this year and you guys told me that it specifically doesn't work with universal analytics only the old tracking code which is asynchronous not universal.

• Rupok
    • Support Ninja

Hi kstudiofx,

I'm wondering if there's an update for this plugin that could come up soon that will fix it so it works for universal analytics code

Thanks for the clarification between the new universal and old asynchronous code. I appreciate this. I saw you confirmed that "Universal" tracking code didn't work for you, so I tried to confirm the issue. I just checked on my analytics page and it seems like user defined variables are not created for two themes, so yes. I can confirm the issue. I'm pinging our developer right now. He can give us best idea regarding this and I'll update you as soon as I get something from him.

Please keep in mind, our developers work round the clock and they have to deal with lots of critical issues and other things. So it may take a little while for them to check this and provide a feedback.

Have a nice day. Cheers!
    Rupok

• Rupok
    • Support Ninja

Hi kstudiofx,

I've got an update from our developer and the good news is - they are currently working on this. So I believe, they will come up with a fix very soon.

Please keep in mind, our developers work round the clock and they have to deal with lots of critical issues and other things. So it may take a little while for them to check this and release a fix. So I'll request you to wait for a little more. I appreciate your patience.

Have a nice day. Cheers!
    Rupok

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.