About WP Academy QUIZ

Is there any way I can be allowed to bypass the second quiz in the "WORDPRESS MULTISITE MASTERCLASS" so that I can continue my education on the topic of multisites? I took the quiz several times and cannot pass it. I want to learn more - but I'm stymied by being blocked from continuing the course due to this one quiz.

• James Morris

Hey Patricia,

I hope you are well today.

Unfortunately there is no way to bypass the quizzes. :slightly_smiling_face: but don't worry, I am here to help you. I looked at the answer sheet. It is so easy to misunderstand how subdomains and subdirectories work and when they can be activated and when not. :slightly_smiling_face: You should have seen me when I started out. I was all over the place. Let me see if I can clarify it so you can understand what the instructor wants to know in the quiz.

In the Q & A I provided the answer without giving it directly. Just read it carefully and consider your options when choosing it in the quiz.

Subdomains Q - When are you restricted to using subdomains for your network?
    A - If you’re activating Multisite on a site that’s more than a month old, you’ll only have the option to select subdomains. If you’re working on a local site, you’ll only have the subdirectories option.

Subdirectories Q - When are you restricted to using subdirectories for your network?
    A - You can’t choose this option on an established site that you’re converting to a network as it may cause clashes with URLs already created on your site.

If you are still at a loss I add this to further help you make the right choices. Basically, what the instructor would like to know is if you can activate subdirectories or subdomains at any time. When you first install WordPress and activate multisite you are given 2 options. Choosing subdomains or subdirectories. Choosing one over the other will depend on what you want to achieve with your Multisite. If you don’t choose to activate multisite after you installed WP, you only have a month to activate your Multisite functionality if you want both choices available. After a month has passed you will only be left with subdomain as your choice on a live site and subdirectories on a local install. This has to do with your database. All information is stored in the database. If there is changes that causes conflict (subdirectories), the chances are that the links/path that leads to the information will be cut is 99% and you won’t be able to find information.

I hope this explanation helps you pass the quiz as this is the only area that is a bit confusing in the beginning.

Best regards,

James Morris

• Patricia

I've tried to pass it about another 10 times since April 19th. In total, I've retaken that quiz about 25 times or more. What now? I'm days away from ending my membership since I joined to LEARN! If I'm blocked out I'm not getting what I signed up for.

Patricia Waterman
    Professor of Art - 3D Modeling & Animation Certificate Program
    Santa Ana College
    Email: Waterman_patricia@sac.edu

P.S. Here are website that I did manage to configure under one the multisite
    with no help from wpmedev.
    http.www.theceramicsstudio.com
    http://www.watermananimation.com
    http://www.gr8yogastory.com

• Mark

Hi,

I found this thread while trying to pass the same quiz. The wording of a couple of questions is what threw me a bit; they could have been clearer. I will admit it's late in the day and I should probably know better than to try to learn something new at this time of night!

In particular...

How do you enable a theme for a site in the network?

To me 'a site' means one site, and that's the answer I gave (which was wrong).

How do you change the URL of a site?

To get 100% I had to include 'Via the Settings screen in the site admin' but there is no option in Settings in site admin on a MU install to update the URL of a subsite. The tutorial text doesn't say there is either so I believe that is wrong.

Mark

• Yellow House Design

I agree, I found the wording of this quiz to be particularly problematic... a couple of the questions even had incorrect answers. In reference to this question:

When are you restricted to using subdomains for your network?

I could not tell if that was supposed to mean "when are you not able to use subdomains" or "when can you only use subdomains." "Restricted" is defined as "limited in extent, number, scope, or action.." So this question was reading as "When are you limited to using subdomains for your network?" which is the exact opposite of what was intended since the correct answer is "If your site is more than a month old." The better, more direct question would be:

When are you unable to use subdomains for your network?

I would think that the same logic would apply to the next question since it is worded the exact same:

When are you unable to use subdirectories for your network?

However, since the correct answer is "If you’ve installed WordPress in a subdirectory," the opposite is meant for this question - this would be more clear:

When are you only able to use subdirectories for your network?

For this question:

How do you change the URL of a site? (select all that apply)

This was the correct answer, however the 2nd option is incorrect. That is not an available option.

Via the Sites Info screen in the network admin
    Via the Site Settings screen in the site admin