Access after cancelling payment

It won't let me select Membership in the dropdown on this form. So this is about Membership. :wink:

My client at blissfulandfit.com is reporting that when people register on her site for her program, if they cancel the PayPal payment, they can still access all the material. Which obviously they should not be able to do. :wink: It has been so long since I set all of this up that I am not intimately familiar with it any more. Can you give me any idea why this would be happening and how to stop it? I granted support access.

Using latest version of wordpress. Membership Premium Version 3.5.3.3. I see there is a new plugin to replace it, but I am not sure I am ready to have to redo all of the permissions and shortcodes right now.

• jenny_medford
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

More info from client:

My friend just registered and didn't pay and showed me a screenshot of all the material. This is really frustrating! I've lost so much money over the last year. I was wondering why so many people were registering and not paying. I always send them an email but no one got back to me. So they had access to the material the whole time!!

The material is also all available through a simple google search. Please help me fix this. I can't believe it's been available this whole time for free. I haven't had anyone pay for the program in over a year!

• jenny_medford

I am not sure if I did something or you did something already, but now the content is protected, but I can't log in. Working on that, but if you can let me know if/when you are doing something I would so appreciate it. I am not sure what is going on at this point. :wink:

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello Jenny!

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

Let me please go through this in "chunks":

My client at blissfulandfit.com is reporting that when people register on her site for her program, if they cancel the PayPal payment, they can still access all the material.

Cancelling payment doesn't mean removing access. If a payment was made for, let's say, a year of access and a member cancels subscription after 6 months, this member will still be able to access content for next 6 months. That is, if we're referring here to canceling payment subscription.

If you're however referring to a scenario where member signs up, makes payment and then immediately cancels payment (so PayPal returns money to him/her) and then continues to have access anyway, than this would mean that there's either a bug or a mis-configuration and it should be investigated. Let me know please which of two above scenarios does you client experience here.

My friend just registered and didn't pay and showed me a screenshot of all the material.

Can you point me to the user in question so I could check his/her account on the site and investigate transactions?

The material is also all available through a simple google search.

The Membership 2 Pro plugin doesn't prevent Google from indexing the site. This doesn't however mean that visiting the protected page from Google grants an access to protected material. Instead a non-member user should be presented with a "Protected Content" form. Again, if this does not happen then it's either a mis-configuration or a bug that we should investigate and fix. Could you please share an example of such content with me? If you're not willing to expose that in public, just let me know please and I'll mark this thread internal so only we (a support staff) and you will be able to access it.

It was my client. She deactivated me. SO never mind that last note.

That doesn't sound good :slight_frown: Apart from being able to access the site, am I still allowed to review it and research the issues directly on your customer's site?

Please advise!
    Best regards,
    Adam

• jenny_medford

My client did not de-activate me on purpose. :wink: She was just deactivating everyone and accidentally did me too.

I haven't gone back to test this yet, because this is one of several fires I am putting out today, but I *think* actually the issue was that nothing was being protected from anyone. So someone would register, but not pay, but still get an email with a link to the members area. Anyone who could find the members area could access it. And I think the reason for that was because she deleted the Visitor role, which is the role that was set to be assigned to people who had registered but not yet paid.

I am going to go test that theory now . . .

• Milan
    • WordPress Wizard

Hello jenny_medford

Hope you are well today. :slight_smile:

Glad to hear that your issue has been resolved. :slight_smile: I am marking this one as resolved one and you do not need to reply me back here anymore. :slight_smile: In case if this issue comes up again, please consider reopening this thread. And for other issues, please consider opening new thread. :slight_smile:

Thanks for being with us. :slight_smile: Enjoy WPMU DEV.
    Cheers,
    Milan

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.