Access Levels not linking up correctly to WP Roles

Hello again.

I am gradually managing to hack my own way through this, but I have hit a problem which I cannot get a way around.

I am able to set up access levels and subscription plans. They are appearing on the site and members are able to signup and pay with paypal. Members are then listed in the membership list and in the regular WP users list. In both case they are listed in the correct User Role.

However when those new users login, they are not seeing the items which should be visible to them in the admin area. I have to manually go to Users/All Users/select the user in question, reselect the same Role and save. Then the correct options are visible to them in their admin area.

Obviously this is not sustainable, and I can't see how this would be meant to happen.

Please, please, can someone help with this.

Best wishes, Andrew,

• Abaloo
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Hi, I just cannot get this to work and I see nothing that I have setup incorrectly. I have even tried deleting settings and starting again...and still I have the same issue.

I have setup the settings, under Membership/Access Levels/{Level Name]/Advanced (both)/Associated Role to the correct Associated Role.

But the user when signed up is not being applied to the Associated Role. It shows in the User's Profile that they have been, but I have to manually Update the profile page (without changing any information) for the correct settings to be applied.

This is a high membership site I am putting together, and that is obviously not a sustainable way to manage it.

Really hope you guys can help me out with this soon.

Best wishes, Andrew.

• Timothy Bowers
    • Chief Pigeon

Hey there.

I am gradually managing to hack my own way through this

What hacks have you done. This might limit the amount of support we can offer.

However when those new users login, they are not seeing the items which should be visible to them in the admin area. I have to manually go to Users/All Users/select the user in question, reselect the same Role and save. Then the correct options are visible to them in their admin area.

So when you edit their account they have the correct role? But it needs re-saving?

Is that right?

Are you handling roles with a role manager type plugin?

Does it do this with only the Membership plugin enabled?

And does it do this with the default Twenty Eleven theme?

That would eliminate any conflicts.

It seemed ok when I was just testing so just want to confirm the above.

Thanks.

• Abaloo

Hi Timothy. Many thanks for the response.

To go through your points one-by-one:

What hacks have you done. This might limit the amount of support we can offer.

- Forgive me. I didn't used the term in that way. I don't have sufficient knowledge of the code to "hack" it in the IT term. I just meant that I am blindly working my through it. I have made no "hacks" to the plugin etc.

So when you edit their account they have the correct role? But it needs re-saving? Is that right?

- Yes, this is correct. The correct role is being assigned, but the user is given virtually zero permissions (they can only see the dashboard and their profile in wp-admin) until I go to their profile and click update, when the given role permissions apply.

Are you handling roles with a role manager type plugin?

- Yes, Advanced Access Manager.

Does it do this with only the Membership plugin enabled? And does it do this with the default Twenty Eleven theme?

- I can't test with all of the other plugins disabled, as when I do that, the roles won't work anyway, will they?

Really looking forward to your further support, and thanks so much for your time.

Best wishes, Andrew.

• Timothy Bowers
    • Chief Pigeon

- I can't test with all of the other plugins disabled, as when I do that, the roles won't work anyway, will they?

Ah so these are custom roles created with the plugin you mentioned?

To test you could use one of the default roles and see how their access is then when signing up.

Would it be possible to test that please?

Thanks.

• Abaloo

Hi, thanks Timothy.

I just tried testing as you suggested, with the default WP role of Editor granted to the user on signup.

The same thing happens...the correct settings are only being applied after they have signed up and then I manually save the user profile page as the Administrator.

Please help.

Best wishes, Andrew.

• Abaloo

Okay, I have done that and now I have A BIT OF AN EMERGENCY.

It i snow not working at all and I am seeing this error in the backend (I have substituted out my domain name:

Plugin could not be activated because it triggered a fatal error.

Warning: require_once([domain-name]/wp-content/plugins/membership/membershipincludes/includes/new-pointer-tutorials.php) [function.require-once]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in [domain-name]/wp-content/plugins/membership 5/membershipincludes/classes/class.tutorial.php on line 54

Please get back to me urgently on this.

• Abaloo

No. Still the same thing is happening. It happens whether the role is a custom role or a standard WP role.

Please help with this, it makes the plugin useless and I'm getting pretty desperate here...it's three days since I made this support request.

(also, can you tell me where the changelog is for this version, it's not showing on the plugin page so I have no idea what has changed in this version).

Best wishes, Andrew

• Timothy Bowers
    • Chief Pigeon

The change log location will be the same on all projects. Screenshot attached.

I've tested the role change and it seems to work fine for me. So I'm not sure why it isn't for you, perhaps some kind of cache.

Are in multisite or single site with this one?

I tested a few different things but it seemed ok. I tested by giving admin access.

Thanks.

• Abaloo

Hi Timothy.

• Re changelog: I knew where to find it, the new updated log just wasn't showing when I last looked. Can see it now though. Glad to see the 3.1.1 update too, that was a bit of a bug I noticed.

• Role linking to access levels: This is still not working. I am on a single site, not multi-site, setup. Still really hoping for some help on this.

• dennisonwolfe
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

@propaganda - got your note. I had I think a similar issue initially, where a user was being given a WP role of "None". I was using WPMU's "Redirect on Login", and I disabled and re-enabled it, and things seemed to clear up. My instinct says this isn't actually what fixed it. :slight_smile:

Just to clarify, have you disabled Advanced Access Manager to see what happens?

Could you use a different plugin like Role Manager?

Could you use the Membership tools to reveal / hide the content you want? For instance, I have a set of pages using Membership shortcodes,where Visitors get a sales message and Members get a Logged In message. Its working really elegantly.

Cheers
    Tyler

• Abaloo

@dennisonwolfe thanks for such a considered reply, much appreciated. I have disabled AAM and tried it with a regular WP role, and the same thing is still happening. Unfortunately I don't have Redirect on login installed so I can't try that out to see if it was a potential issue. The whole thing is driving me crazy.

Re using Membership tools to show/hide, that isn't working either in this case. Also, it is hiding menu options in the admin interface that is the issue, not front end.

@Timothy it is interesting to note that I am not the only person ti have experienced this.

• dennisonwolfe
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

@propaganda - hmmm... we had to do some custom development to hide stuff on the admin, but it wasn't tied to Roles.

what about using WPMU's Ultimate Branding? you can hide Dashboard Widgets, and there's an admin CSS section, where maybe you can use display:none for what you want to hide in the sidebar?

Hiding might be acceptable, until you figure out how to better control access?

• Timothy Bowers
    • Chief Pigeon

It may well be interesting, but the issue described by Tyler is that it gave the role as none, not that it assigned the role and wasn't then usable until you saved their profile page.

If I'm not able to replicate it then it makes it hard to fix.

If you are happy to provide access to your install then I can take a look for you.

If so then please send:

- A link back to this thread
    - Mark for my attention
    - Include FTP access
    - Include full network/admin access

https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/

Take care.

• Timothy Bowers
    • Chief Pigeon

We tend to share the central inbox for support, this enables us to see what has or hasn't been done for an issue. Making it easier to track issues should a developer need to further clarification later.

Also should I be taken off line for a period of time due to some reason then our other staff will be able to assist further.

Thanks.

• Abaloo

Thanks Timothy for your support. This is my new plan of attach on this one:

I am going to switch the hosting of this site to a new host. As part of that I am going to try setting it up in the new environment first, and beginning the new install with just Membership, making sure that it works in that bare form first. Assuming that it does, I'll then build out the site and keep testing that it works as expected as I add new features/plugins. This should help me to identify whether the issue is related to one of the plugins which is integral to the current build of the site.

Can we keep this one open, and then I'll report back later in the week on whether I need to pursue your support further?

Thanks again for your patience.

Best wishes, Andrew.

• Timothy Bowers
    • Chief Pigeon

Hey Andrew.

Open or closed, you can always reopen a thread :slight_smile:

Generally staff follow an RSS feed of their newest threads. I won't be on the computer so much over the coming weekend so don't be alarmed by much slower responses :slight_smile:

I'll then be playing catch up Monday and Tuesday. Just didn't want you thinking I forgot about the thread if you respond :slight_smile:

Keep us updated how you go, the thread will remain open.

Take care.

• Abaloo

Thanks Timothy.

I've made a start on this on the new install.

I have setup Membership on a clean new install. I have set each subscription level to access a standard WP role (author/editor/etc) so there are no custom plugins or user levels.

And it works perfectly!

So it seems there is a conflict with the user role plugin - I have been using Advanced Access Manager.

I now need to look for an alternative. The trouble is that AAM is mega powerful and allows me to clearly define who can do what. Do you have any other recommendations?

Best wishes, Andrew.

• Abaloo

OKay thanks. I'll let you know how things go.

It seems actually that the facility in Membership itself to set positive and negative rules on menu and submenu items may cover what I need. I had no idea that was so powerful!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.