Access v Subscription

I am at that confusing spot with Membership set up, Part VIII Access Levels. I believe I have a light grasp of it, in that I need to set permission levels so that there's something to give to the subscriber levels. Sorta.

So when I go to Access Levels main page, then the Subscription Levels page, they have the same info in there, a list of all my subscription levels I set up. If Access plans are different, then why are the same exact names in there instead of say Basic, One, Two, Three as in the manual. At any rate, I am super confused and do not know what I am supposed to be choosing here.

FYI: The site I am setting up will have stranger/visitor subscription level; and then 6 subscription levels (3 monthly and 3 yearly) BUT all 6 will be allowed to access all the same content. There is no bronze, silver, gold plan in this were the more you pay, the more you get. It's more on how much people can afford and want to support us at. There might be a 7th level called Plus which will cost more and will have content exclusive from all the other levels, this isn't set in stone yet though. So just on the 6 levels of subscription, with equal access, what decisions do I need to be making here?

• mort3n
    • The Crimson Coder

Hi y3kgeek,

Setting up a visitor level is a good idea. Make sure to also set a Protected content page under Membership -> Options -> Membership pages

Access levels

As I understand your situation, you'll need 2-3 levels : Visitor, Member and possibly Plus.

Subscriptions

All the subscriptions are similar except for their duration and price. Just add the Member level to each subscription.

Hope this helps :slight_smile:

Cheers
    Mort3n

• aristath
    • Recruit

Hello there @y3kgeek, I hope you're well today!

In addition to what mort3n said earlier, you can find some very explanatory videos on this post: https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/video-tutorial-how-to-set-up-a-membership-site#post-247873 they are great in helping you understand what things are and how to setup the Membership plugin (which at first can be a bit overwelming.)

I am marking this issue as resolved for now, if however you find that the above video walkthroughs don't help you, then please feel free to reopen it! :slight_smile:

Cheers,
    Ari.

• jdsullivan411
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Ari, Thanks the videos are helpful.
    So one thing I am confused about, the manual says that subscription plans are not the same as access levels.

Right now, I have the subscription plans named the same as the access levels. Being that there are 6 subscription options (duration and price), but all 6 of them (not including visitor) will be allowed the same access. We are allowing the customer to choose at which rate they can afford to afford to subscribe.

So I am wondering, in Membership> Access Levels
    Wouldn't it be simpler if I had 2 levels:
    Premium
    Visitors

Then create the rules for each.
    Then in Subscription Plans, I would drag over "Premium" for each of the 6 subscription levels, set as serial, renew 1/month.

Because this way, I only need 1 short-code, instead of 6.

~~~~OR~~~~

Would this mess up upgrades? Because some people want to be monthly subscribers, some annual, some at $7/ and some at $240 a year even though they'd be getting the same access to content. But the process of upgrading, I'm anticipating this to not work with my first proposal. ?

• jdsullivan411
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

~~~ or ` is it the subscription level they'd be upgrading, not the access level, so all 6 subscription levels could have the same access (membership level) level but different variables on length and cost for each subscription level. make sense?

• aristath
    • Recruit

@y3kgeek wow, that was a confusing post...

So I am wondering, in Membership> Access Levels
    Wouldn't it be simpler if I had 2 levels:
    Premium
    Visitors

Yes, that does sound more reasonable.

Then in Subscription Plans, I would drag over "Premium" for each of the 6 subscription levels

Exactly

Would this mess up upgrades?

Not really...

is it the subscription level they'd be upgrading, not the access level, so all 6 subscription levels could have the same access (membership level) level but different variables on length and cost for each subscription level.

Exactly! :slight_smile:
    So it 's going to be easier than you thought...

Cheers!
    Ari.

• aristath
    • Recruit

Hello there @y3kgeek!

I'm glad you got things sorted out!
    The videos are indeed really helpful!

P.S. Thank you very very much for the rep points you sent me! However I already am a lifetime member, you'll need those more than I do! If you help out others you 'll be able to get your lifetime membership too soon enough! So I'll be returning those... with a small bonus as a token of my appreciation. :slight_smile:

Take care!
    Ari.

• mort3n
    • The Crimson Coder

Hi @Karen

Sorry to hear that you are confused about access levels.

Since the answers in this thread were related to the specific question posed above, it will most likely be better for you to start a new thread and pose your specific question(s).

I'm sure someone will be able to help you out.

Cheers
    Mort3n

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.