Account and Site Registration (BuddyPress + WP Multisite)

On our site we have built a network where a New Member will have access our network (buddypress features) AND have blog site (micro site managed by the Pro Sites plugin).

We have ONE level that we advertise at $9.75 per month. Paypal Pro has been set up as our gateway and tested. That works beautifully.

The current registration process using all the buddypress and pro site settings is this:
1. Potential Member goes to the Register page ( - See Screen shot
2. They fill out the form. Select the checkbox under Blog Details if they would like to have a blog site (Boutique site). Then click the Complete Sign Up button.
3. The page redirects to blank page with "You have successfully created your account! To begin using this site you will need to activate your account via the email we have just sent to your address.".
4. The new user has to check their email, click on the activate link. The activate link redirects to a page that says: "Your account was activated successfully! You can now log in with the username and password you provided when you signed up."
5. The user has to go BACK to their email where they receive a second email with their log in credentials.
6. Once they log in to the site they are immediately directed to a payment page. (see screenshot 2).

The payment page works just fine. OUR PROBLEM is this.... if the user does not pay they still have access to the network. They can not access their site but they can interact with other members.

Is there a way to streamline this process when the potential member is on our register page, once they click the complete button it takes them directly to the payment page?

We want to make this as simple as possible for our new members.

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Linda,

I hope you have a nice day and thank you for your question!

This entire process can be significantly simplified however that would also affect the registration process. I noticed that at this moment you're using some additional profile fields in your registration form that are marked as required.

In order to simplify entire process please go to your "Network Admin -> Pro Sites -> Settings -> General Settings" page and turn on the "Signup on Checkout" option.

The workflow will be like this:
    - user visits registration page and is immediately redirected to Pro Sites checkout page (where pricing table is shown)
    - user selects a plan and a short form shows up below
    - after clicking a button user is presented with payment form
    - after payment is made site is active and user is logged in
    - user receives an e-mail with access details

I think you may want to give it a try. Disabling aforementioned option will bring back the current workflow so it's safe to try.

Would that work for you?

Best regards,

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Linda!

1. Is there a way to add custom fields/ questions to the pro sites sign up? With the extended profile plug in we can at least customize the BuddyPress profile, but having certain information on sign up would help us on the administrative side.

Pro Sites doesn't alter the WP core registration too much and if you're using BuddyPress x-profile fields, these additional fields should also show up on Pro Sites user registration form.

2. When they are on the register page, is there a way to customize the button for the AWI level? I need to change the text on the button and make the font more readable.

I admit I'm not quite sure here. Are you looking for a way to change font/look of the button (which could be achieved via CSS) or to replace the current text or both? Please advise!

Best regards,

• linda_fitzgerald

Thank you Adam,

I'll double check that our extended profile fields are showing up on the registration. If I have any issue I'll be sure to let you know.

Regarding my question on customizing the button... YES! I DO NOT want the button test to say "try it out..." Can you provide me instructions on where to edit the CSS for this and a template of CSS that will get me started?

Thank you so much!

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi Linda,

Text itself can't be changed using CSS since it's in the plugin code, what you can do is install our Ultimate Branding plugin and its Text Change module to change this code:
    <em>Try it out!</em><br /><span>You can easily upgrade to a better value plan at any time.</span>
    Replace that text with want you want and you can then tell us which other styling changes to want to apply to it so we can assist you with it.

Best regards,