activate subdomain link to webmail on a multisite cpanel account

well, this is the scenario.

Cpanel accounts creates some redirection to have a nice webmail.mydomain.com (also accessible via mydomain.com/webmail)

When multisite activated, the use of subdomain webmail does not work, for any domain parked on the multisite install.

Is there a way to restablish that ?

Because it is muc more nice than the /webmail/ for clients....

any tip ?

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Aphrodite,

Hmmmm ...... obviously the redirection by CPanel and also by Multisites interception is causing a loop that may not be able to be defeated.

I am thinking hard on this one because it would seem that first Cpanel makes the redirection a sub-domain and then WordPress intercepts the redirect and probably returns a 404 because the sub domain does not exist?

The solution will obviously be to have the redirect come before the WordPress interception.

This will be tricky stuff but I am thinking about it.

I will also see what Aaron may think about this too.

Cheers, Joe :slight_smile:

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Aphrodite,

Just checking in to let you know that I have pinged our lead developer in on this for comment but know that he is knee deep in some top priority issues at this time.

Hopefully he will have a chance to offer us his advice sooner then later.

Cheers, Joe

• Connectivity.Engineer
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

What we generally do is provide a simple URL with a redirect to all users.
    The reasons for this are many -

1. Generally the subdomain of the server itself has an SSL Certificate - so if you point to it - folks can send/receive in a secure fashion.

2. This provides you the ability to brand the login pages as you would like.

I could fill a bunch of other reasons - but truth is - I am not so sure we need to re-code if we simply manage the customers expectations ahead of time.

If you need it - require it - etc - I can more than understand the frustration however.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings cloudhopping,

Thank you so much for the feedback it is certainly appreciated.

You got that right on the money. It is the same "expectations" challenge that we face here on WPMU Dev.

For example just today a member was writing in complaining about a certain WordPress screen not looking right in IE6 - not even Microsoft is supporting IE6 anymore, there own product, but yet as the story goes "don't you support all WordPress issues" as advertised somewhere in which I have personally yet to see ..... lol

So you are definitely spot on when talking about "expectations".

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Aphrodite,

Just touching base with you to let you know that I am still hoping to get our lead developer in here sometime soon for comment which has been next to impossible due to other priority issues that are currently delaying replies eating up his time.

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.