Activating a deactivated site on Multisite

Hi Guys.

I have a client that had some copy right issues with the content on their website, so she told me to take the site down for awhile. So I deactivated the site, so that there wouldn't be anymore problems until the issues was resolved.
Since they only had some problems with content, I cloned their website to a new subdomain and removed all the content that had issues (there were only issues with products in woocommerce). I am now trying to get the new temporary website on to the clients domain, but it keep saying that the domain is not available (same as when I deactivated the domain). I've tried activating the real website again, which i had no problems with, but this didn't change anything - the domain is still unavailable.
During this above period of time, I have changed the dedicated IP address - I dont know if this could give some other issues, but it was more as a FYI.

The domain is galaksi.dk and the main website is galaksi-hundesalon.webinnovate.dk and the new temporary site is galaksi.webinnovate.dk.

So my question is - how can I get the domain to work again? Is there something that i need to do before it will work?

Have a great day!

Best Regards,
Rasmus

• Rupok

Hi Rasmus, hope you had a wonderful day.

So I deactivated the site, so that there wouldn't be anymore problems until the issues was resolved

How did you deactivate the site? Which plugin did you use to clone the site?

Are you referring to Domain Mapping plugin in anyway? Domain Mapping highly depend on your dedicated IP address. So if you change your IP, then you have to point all your domains to your new IP and DNS needs to be propagated. Then your domain will be available.

Can you please explain your scenario with real example? I'm really confused. Did you face copyright issue on "galaksi-hundesalon.webinnovate.dk", and this subsite has "galaksi.dk" mapped to it? Now you created a temporary site "galaksi.webinnovate.dk" and want "galaksi.dk" mapped to it?

I'm really curious to know what happened actually and willing to resolve this issue as soon as possible. Please let us know in details.

Have a nice day. Cheers!
    Rupok

• Rasmus

Hello Rupok.

Thanks for the reply.

I went to "websites" in the network, found the website and pressed "deactivate". I used the cloner plugin from wpmu dev to clone it, where i went to the original website and cloned it through the top menu in controlpanel.

Yes, I am using Domain Mapping where i changed my dedicated IP. Most of my customers are not using DNS redirect, so thereI've changed their nameservers through the domain provider, so they are working just fine. I only have one customers that uses the DNS redirect, which is where I have the problem.

Let me try and explain it again. My customer (with subdomain galaksi-hundesalon.webinnovate.dk that was directed to galaksi.dk) had a competitor that sued her for stealing product descriptions from their website. When she got the lawsuit, she told me to take the website down, so they couldn't get more proof and to show good faith. So I deactivated the website, so it only was logged in superadmin that could see the website.

While the content are being changed on the original site, I would like to put a temporary website (galaksi.webinnovate.dk) up on the domain galaksi.dk. So I cloned her site and removed all products and customized the website so that we could have it online without any issues from the competitor. This will then give us time to work on the original website and when it's done, we will switch the domain back to the original one.

So you think that as soon as the domain is propagnated, the website will work?

After I changed the dedicated IP in domain mapping and changed the IP in the DNS settings on her domain, the status on the domain is invalid in domain mapping on her site. So my thought is that there were something else wrong somewhere...

Best Regards,
    Rasmus

• Kasia Swiderska

Hello Rasmus,

Allow me to jump in here because I don't see in your message - before you mapped domain to new temporary site did you removed it from Domain Mapping settings in old deactivated site? If yes, and that is not the case would you mind allowing support access so we can have a closer look at this?
    To enable support access you can follow this guide here:
    http://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-dev-dashboard-enabling-staff-login/

kind regards,
    Kasia

• Ash

Hello Rasmus

That's because the domain was still added to the deactivated subsite. I have removed from that deactivated subsite, created a new subsite called http://test.webinnovate.dk/ , mapped http://galaksi.dk/ in the new subsite and it's working fine now.

Would you please check again? Before checking, remove the domain from http://test.webinnovate.dk/ and add in other subsite.

Hope it helps :slight_smile: Please feel free to ask more question if you have any.

Cheers
    Ash

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.